Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new case advice please ?

Beans

new case advice please ?

Im looking for some advice on a new case the current case is rather old and during warmer months it gets hot the fans kick into high and then it gets noisy

currently looking at a second hand older version of the coolermaster cosmos, it has most the bells and whistles but has not been looked after (few missing parts that I can replace) the main downside as a full tower case + legs it is HUGE

I was also looking at a new Antec GX 700 ATX that is just in the price range I was willing to pay (and I like how it looks) but it lacks the sound cancelling technology the cosmos uses but I was hoping the bottom positioned power supply and the fan positioned on the side door would keep the case cooler and increase airflow around the gpu enough to prevent the fan kicking into high (easily the loudest fan in the system)

or can anyone suggest another solid case ? (that at least has sideways mounted hdd bays & bottom mounted psu)

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: new case advice please ?

My Solo II has been good to me, although I don't know for sure that they still make it. And it doesn't have either of the things you say you're looking for. Make sure you don't get a cheap case though; every one that I've ever dealt with has required a blood sacrifice every time you need to delve inside.

To some extent, cool-running and quiet are contradictory requirements for a case: the more holes you have for airflow, the more holes for noise to leak out. There are sites specifically set up with PC noise in mind, though, such as Silent PC Review and others. A browse of those might narrow the field for you, or give you more information on the cases you're considering.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

it looks nice enough and they still make it.

The psu is mounted at the top but is vented so the intake is on the outside right ? (reason I wanted a bottom mounted psu was so the airflow comes from outside the case and ejected outside)

only problem with that one new it is just under double what I wanted to spend (budget around 70usd) can't really see it second hand anywhere

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't think mine came with a PSU. The one I've got exhausts hot air from around the processor. My setup has intake at the bottom-front and exhaust at top-rear. My fans only run around 800 RPM (except for the HSF which is about 1000 RPM) so it's pretty quiet. I keep meaning to get a new HSF, but I haven't gotten round to it.

EDIT: If your existing case is fine apart from when the fans are on high, it might work out cheaper to just get new fans. The bearings do get worn over time which makes them get louder. And give all your vents a clean to limit how often they need to kick in.
    Last edited by CatKiller; May 23rd, 2013 at 02:39 PM.

Beans

current case is an old centurion (version 5 rv 1?) it has 2 fans mounts, 1 rear thermal controlled 120mm exhaust and 1 front mounted 80mm filtered intake that passes the airflow over the drives, the psu is mounted above the cpu and its intake is pointed down (inside) it has no cable tidy / airflow cutouts, the front fan makes some noise I had considered changing it for a more expensive (silent) one at some point but decided it was quiet enough to put up with (and it is a pain to get into and replace)

the gpu fan seems to be the main problem. in summer (the rest of the time it isn't a problem) under load the fan switches to high it makes loads of noise, if I remove the side panel the heat sync is actually hot to touch and takes some time before its cool enough for the fan to slow down.

edit:having looked around I have found some unique ways people have been able to mount additional 120 mm fans to the same case so I may give that a go
    Last edited by Shadowstripe; May 23rd, 2013 at 04:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If modding your existing case doesn't work out, you can look to getting a new one in the future without having had massive outlay. I understand that people have successfully changed GPU fans - might be worth a look?

EDIT: You can use cable ties to improve airflow inside the case. It's also worth looking into the airflow situation before you add more fans; while sometimes you get more cold air intake with a side fan, sometimes it just sets up turbulence which blocks the throughput of the other fans. It's not something I've looked into heavily, but some people get very serious about this kind of thing.
    Last edited by CatKiller; May 23rd, 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

With a generic silver box PSU you will be fighting a losing battle, regardless of what case you have. They are more winter warmer than PSU and very inefficient (less than 70% actually). If you are getting a case with a power supply make sure that supply is NOT a generic silver box but of good quality and marked 80+ or 85+ even better. That will remain cool and quiet regardless and save you some money as the electricity it uses powers your machine rather than converting to heat (I can put my hand on my PSU when the machine has been on a couple of hours).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have an ATX board, 6 or fewer hard drives, need only need 3 external (or is it 4?) 5.25" bays and don't mind the blocky, industrial look of the CM HAF series, you might find the compact HAF 912 worth a look.

I have several. I put 200mm Mega Flow fans (CM now sells them in black if you don't want the red or blue LED models) in the front and top, a 120 in the side and use the rear fan that comes with it. If you carefully route your cables (there are some recesses in the mobo tray that I use to route cables under the mobo) and use a few strategically placed adhesive cable tie downs, you can have an extremely open case with no cables to cause turbulent airflow. Just takes a little planning and fiddling. With the front/side 200mm/120mm fans in and the top/rear 200mm/120mm fans out you'll get plenty of good airflow.

It's also deep enough to handle the largest of air coolers. You can also mount a 2x120 radiator in the top instead of the 200mm fan if you want to go liquid.

Tool-less hdd bays and the drives come out the side. Bottom mounted PSU with a filtered vent on the bottom, so just point your intake fan down.

I've been replacing cases with them to conserve space.

Brand new and adding the 2x200mm fans (not included) I pay about $85US for each unit.

No USB3 on the front, but you could always buy a 5.25" bay device.

Very quiet -- if you do good cable managment and use an automatic PWM to voltage regulating fan controller off the 4 pin CPU cooler header to control the 3 pin case fans based on CPU temp.

Beans

I've been using the Rosewill Challenger case for the past seven months and I have to say, I absolutely love it.

I was using an old, cramped OEM case prior and switching to the Challenger really helped bringing my temperatures down. My CPU used to idle around 50C on my old case, and the temps dropped to 35C after installing. They're pretty high right now (54C with four Chrome tabs open, virus scan on Windows running) because I haven't cleaned out my system in quite some time.

The case isn't that loud to me. I mean if you run with your GPU's fan on full blast you'll certainly hear it, but if you have headphones on you might not even notice it. I typically have my GPU fan running on stock, but you could bump it up if need be it.

So yeah. Can't recommend the Challenger enough!
    Last edited by Sugiura Ayano; May 24th, 2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Forgot sound!

Beans

funny you should mention the HAF 912 it was one of the cases I was originally looking at, I know its a bit funny but the grooves on the front put me off a bit

I did asked elsewhere before but never got a response, are the grooves on the front bulky / plasticy as the pictures ? I just got the impression they may get bashed around and/or damaged

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast