Thread: cannot boot after moving partition

Beans

cannot boot after moving partition

Hey guys , nice to meet you all ,

I had ubuntu only installed on my notebook(in sda1) and wanted to install another OS on sda1 to make my notebook dual-booting ,
    I made a new partition (sda6) using "gparted" and copied and pasted sda1 in it , formatted sda1 to ntfs, and apply the changes
    I then booted from live usb and used boot-repair to try to make my note-book boots from the new partition (sda6)
    I rebooted my notebook after removing the live usb, and I always get that prumpt:

unknown filesystem
    grub rescue >

I also made boot info file using boot-repair.
    please any help will be really appreciated

and thanks in advance

eeluser
    Last edited by eeluser; May 23rd, 2013 at 08:19 AM.

Beans

Re: cannot boot after moving partition

what do you mean by 'copied and pasted'?

Beans

Hi HimTye,

using GParted, and following some tutorial instructions
    I made a new partition (sda6) and copied all sda1 (ubuntu root partition) to sda6

Beans

yes, but what tools did you use to copy it? include specific commands if possible.

the more detail you provide, the easier it is to help you

Beans
    Hidden!

I suspect your /etc/fstab file now points to a root partition that no longer exists.

Let's see the output of
    Code:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null
    cat /media/mountpoint/etc/fstab
    where mountpoint is that of your installed/copied but not working ubuntu partition.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HiImTye View Post
    yes, but what tools did you use to copy it? include specific commands if possible.

the more detail you provide, the easier it is to help you
    He said he used GParted. Right click on the partition you want to copy.Click copy.Right click on the partition you want to paste it into and click paste.

Beans

It probably wasn't a good idea to move the partition that you had grub installled on. If you want to install windows it's usually best to do that first. Probably the most pain free way of fixing this is to back up your home directory and whatever you need with a live cd and reinstall your linux distro. I'm sure there is a way to edit everything to point to the right locations but unless your really tied to your Linux installation doing a fresh install is pretty easy nowadays.
    I have a system that I bought this year and I`ve managed to not put windows on it. If I ever did I`m sure it would disrupt everything. I`ve tried moving installations to different partitions and it`s worked well but the one that has grub installed in the 1st sector of the disc stays put.
    Craig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CraigPid View Post
    It probably wasn't a good idea to move the partition that you had grub installled on. If you want to install windows it's usually best to do that first. Probably the most pain free way of fixing this is to back up your home directory and whatever you need with a live cd and reinstall your linux distro. I'm sure there is a way to edit everything to point to the right locations but unless your really tied to your Linux installation doing a fresh install is pretty easy nowadays.
    I have a system that I bought this year and I`ve managed to not put windows on it. If I ever did I`m sure it would disrupt everything. I`ve tried moving installations to different partitions and it`s worked well but the one that has grub installed in the 1st sector of the disc stays put.
    Craig
    +1 for reinstall.

Edit: I was reading a different thread and switched back and assumed something by mistake so's I remove out of place context.
    Last edited by deadflowr; May 24th, 2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: which thread am I on?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My guess is your first and major problem is you moved the boot partition and then Grub could not find it. This also happens if you try to delete a partition before (numbered less than) the boot partition. The solution is to reinstall grub. However, do install Windows first or you will be reinstalling grub twice. When you are ready to reinstall Grub, look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing, the section on fixing a broken system via live CD terminal. Don't forget to run update-grub as suggested the first time you boot into Ubuntu after reinstalling.