Thread: pgadmin3 restore fails

Beans

pgadmin3 restore fails

Is it OK to ask a Postgres question here?

I'm trying to restore a db using pgAdmin3. But, I'm getting the following:

pg_restore: [archiver (db)] connection to database "ndeavor_production" failed: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"

I don't see any place to put in a password during the restore.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: pgadmin3 restore fails

I've never used pgadmin3, but I have restored PG databases from the command line many times using the psql client. Was the source created by running pg_dump?

Usually the "postgres" user has no password, either at the OS level or the database level.

Suppose the dump file is called mydatabase.dump. I would follow these steps:

Code:
    sudo su
    [enter your password]
    su postgres
    cd
    psql < /path/to/mydatabase.dump
    exit
    exit
    If that does not work, try using "psql template1 < /path/to/mydatabase.dump".

I do use Microsoft Access as a GUI frontend from time to time after installing the ODBC driver for PostgreSQL in Windows. That can be useful for importing large datasets in a spreadsheet or CSV/TSV formats. Mostly I just run queries from the command line using psql.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: pgadmin3 restore fails

I used pgAdmin3 to backup the database. I used the directory format. Now, I'm trying to restore that same backup. When I connect to the pg server, I use user=pgadmin and it has a password. In the restore error log, there is this line --no-password. I don't see any place in the restore screens to add a password. There is a screen for 'security labels' but, I don't know what that's for.

I would really like to restore using pgAdmin3 and not the command line.

Thanks.