Thread: boot-up errors and login crash (12.04)

Beans

boot-up errors and login crash (12.04)

Hello everybody, first time poster, and first time ubuntu user. If i posted this in the wrong spot, please forgive me. im a noob.

I recently downloaded ubuntu 12.04 and installed it. Upon the first inital bootup, there appeared a few small graphical glitches. small horizontal lines that looked a bit like this: ._ except not out of ascii characters. The lines are of a random color, usually red, blue, green, or purple. Once i reach the desktop, i see these lines all over the screen, appearing in a vertical pattern. Ubuntu will last about 5-10 seconds like this, and then proceed to crash. I tried uninstalling my graphics drivers, but to no avail, it did nothing. the lines remained. I am weirded out, because i had an old fedora distro on an old computer, and nothing like this ever happened. Help would be awesome, thanks.

Specs:
    CPU: Intel i3-3.3ghz
    RAM: 4gb
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6570

Beans

Re: boot-up errors and login crash (12.04)

try using nomodeset then installing the proprietary drivers
    (at the grub menu) hit 'e' on ubuntu, go to after 'quiet splash' and add nomodeset then hit f10

Beans

This brings me into a low graphics mode that gives me some settings that I cant really change. I continued and got to a command line, and cant really do anything from there. What should I do from here? Also, thanks for replying to my first post.

Beans

from there you want to install your proprietary drivers, I believe they're in the list of repositories

Beans

I actually did some google searches and was able to do that. thanks for the help!

Beans

no worries, please mark as solved (edit first post then change prefix to [SOLVED]) so that others may benefit from it