Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a very lightweight Distro with a few requirements for a rookie (OLDD machine)

Beans

Cool Need a very lightweight Distro with a few requirements for a rookie (OLDD machine)

Looking for suggestions for a lightweight Distro for an old Dell C600 Pentium 3 800 mhz 512MB ram 20GB HD laptop. I replaced a few parts in this machine to get it running again for a friend who has fallen on hard times. I'm going to give him the machine but it currently has No OS and he has little to no experience with Linux other than using Chromium for 5 minutes on my Xubuntu machine

So i need the Distro to do the following.

1. Work well with a USB WIFI B/G adapter as this unit has no internal wifi and the PCMIA port is shot

2. Be relatively fast so the poor kid isn't sitting there all day waiting for it. (I did try an old XP disc i had sitting around and the machine just can't handle it worth a damn)

3. Be fairly easy for someone with zero Linux experience to use for VERY basic tasks IE Browsing,Text Documents etc.

My Initial thought was DSL however i think that's a bit complicated for someone with little to no Linux use under their belt (Nor am i an Expert but compared to him i have a PHD in Linux )

Cheers

Beans

Re: Need a very lightweight Distro with a few requirements for a rookie (OLDD machine

Hi,

I have tried Puppy linux and it is cute and done for old machines.
    http://www.puppylinux.com/
    i have no idea however how it is now as I haven`t used it a lot. I hope that this can be enough.

cheers
    ! Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition !

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Need a very lightweight Distro with a few requirements for a rookie (OLDD machine

You could do a minimal install with a light desktop and just the programs you really need.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...wMemorySystems

Beans

Lubuntu might work, though it might be a little slow. It'd probably help if you could bump the RAM up to 1 GB, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My EeePC900 is 900MHz and about the only problem I have with that is streaming Flash videos stuttering from time to time. (Not that I have that problem on my own.) It does have 1GB of RAM, so as has already been suggested, boosting the RAM would help.

I avoid KDE and a full Unity desktop. 12.04 Gnome classic works fine. Xubuntu would also be an option.

If you can't increase the memory, I'd think about installing Openbox, especially if you're able to do a little handholding for a while. Yes, I know it takes some setting up, but once that's done, it should be fine. Especially for someone with basic needs who's not into fiddling with things.

Beans

Nothing more demandin than Openbox I would say.

Also see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2143547

Try cruchbang, archbang, slitaz, tiny core, dsl, puppy.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry, but it's too weak for any practical use.

The least problem is getting an operative system running, what matters most are applications like a browser and a media player. You will not get a decent speed out of them.

A 900 MHz EEE is by far superior to a 800 MHz Pentium 3 from around year 2000. The processors do not compare Hz for Hz.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Nothing more demandin than Openbox I would say.
    How is Openbox more demanding ???
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by d.atanasov View Post
    Hi,

I have tried Puppy linux and it is cute and done for old machines.
    http://www.puppylinux.com/
    i have no idea however how it is now as I haven`t used it a lot. I hope that this can be enough.

cheers
    +1. I installed Puppy on my Uncle's desktop that was about 10 years old, and works like a charm!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Outside of light distros like puppy or crunchbang, I say build off of a minimal install, and pick a barebones window manager like openbox.
    Then install the lightest barebones browsers,text editors, etc you can find.

It's old, though, so it's still gonna be slow no matter what you do.
    But it can still be functional, sort of.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast