Thread: system sees only one speaker instead of two

Beans

system sees only one speaker instead of two

Hello everyone,

I have a simple Ubuntu server I used as music player. All has always worked fine, but one day (maybe after an update? I can't recall) the sound started playing only from the right speaker.
    I am sure the speakers are ok: if i plug them into another pc all works fine. If I plug headphones in the server's jack i still hear music only on one side.

apay -l outputs
    Code:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH7]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: ICH7 [Intel ICH7], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH7 - IEC958]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    if i try speaker-test -s 1 i can hear the noise coming from the right speaker.
    if i type speaker-test -s 2 it tells me "Invalid parameter for -s option"

I have tried messing around with the volumes from alsamixer but I do not get any result...
    anyone has an idea on what this could be? Hopefully the jack/soundcard did not break

thanks!

Beans

Re: system sees only one speaker instead of two

Quote Originally Posted by sowdust View Post
    if i type speaker-test -s 2 it tells me "Invalid parameter for -s option"
    I get weird results with "speaker-test -s 2" as well; I get the same error you do. Although my lubunutu setup is pretty screwy in the sound department so I could be me as well.

With "speaker-test -s 1" I get a message it's outputting to the left channel but actually it outputs to both.

What works for me as a test is:

Code:
    speaker-test -c 2
    Hope this helps.

Also if I were debugging it I would definitely find a pair of headphones or another pair of speakers to plug into my computer just to rule out that there's something going wrong with the speaker / soundcard combination.

Beans

Hi mikeym, thanks for your reply. As mentioned earlier I did try to plug a pair of headphones into the jack and also than I could not hear anything from the left side, so it is not a speakers problem.
    I have tried speaker-test -c 2 and it alternatively tests both speakers: I can hear the noise from the right one, but the left is still completely silent

Beans

Um... have you checked the balance? I'm not sure what mixer you would be using, but alsamixer on the command line would show one of the volumes as being half width if it were unbalanced, and you could adjust it using the q, w (up) and z, x (down) keys.

Beans

yes I have, tried to change balance of every channel but nothing changes (I mean, the volume of the right speaker does move, but the left remains silent).
    Also, I think if it were a balance problem the speaker-test would still show some results, while nothing comes out while testing the left speaker.

Beans

any ideas? I really don't know where to look!

Beans

lil bump?