Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I get flash running on an old pc?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: How do I get flash running on an old pc?

Quote Originally Posted by 23senick View Post
    I got Flash working on 11 year old HP, using flash-aid add-on in firefox. It means using a slightly out-of date version of flash so I installed no-script add-on as well.

Sorry I don't have time to find the thread now (bit late!) but if you google for downloading old flash files you should find it. Good luck!
    I think you can get old versions of flash in the Ubuntu archive
    http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...lugin-nonfree/
    Don't know if they would install though.

Then there is a way to install old versions manually if deb fails to install
    http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=464571

Not sure if it is a good idea to run old versions of flash though as it can be a security risk.

flash-aid is long dead. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/flash-aid/

What it did was basically to install the most updated version of flash from Adobe and clean up conflicting versions in your system. Since there is no more flash update for Linux from Adobe (except for security updates which are availiable in the repo) flashaid became pointless and the developer had dropped it long time ago. Now the only way to get up to date flash for Linux is through Chrome's bundled pepper flash.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 4th, 2013 at 01:19 AM.

Beans

Very INTELelesting. So a P4 is the earliest possible processor capable of current flash. I suppose that applies to flv audio as well. My oldest XP box is a P4, with only 1.5GB RAM, and it has a very weak old AGP graphics card and it actually starts to "blacl out" when overstressed with video and other simultaneous threads. it will simply go black screen for a second or two until it recovers. However it can capture five or six (or more), simultaneous flv audio steams with no problem. I sometimes use QT portable browser when I want to view a balky flash video that won't play on FF flash plug-in with a lot of secutity restrictions. I do all my Win / FF browsing in SandboxIE and erase the accumulated detritus regularly. VERY infection free method.

Beans

Hi, I have a Ibm Mpro p3 1gb dual processors with 1gb of ram.
    I'm new to the linux world. I would like to get flashplayer going but on youtube some links play some don't . Are they any other flashplayer alternatives if this route is impossible? Please let me know.
    This is just a second desktop pc I have as a backup to the other.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12