Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stay with Ubuntu or change to other distro?

Beans

Re: Stay with Ubuntu or change to other distro?

I've been playing with the Compiz configurations and with some forum searching narrowed the sluggishness problem to the cinnamon menu only. The menu, when clicked takes 2-3 seconds which does not seem normal, i also feel come lag when scrolling through the menu items.

Beans

What are the specs on your laptop?

Beans

It's a HP G7000 Notebook
    Intel Core2Duo 1.83 GHz
    3GB RAM
    Intel GM965 (x3100)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Well there's also Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome (does it have a name yet?).
    Ubuntu GNOME is the name as far as I can see

Why aren’t you named Gubuntu?

Gubuntu would sound too much like Goobuntu, Google’s internal distribution of Ubuntu. The GNOME Foundation Board did not want us to use a derivative of GNOME like GNOMEbuntu as our name. Anyway, we think the name Ubuntu GNOME is a good example of the simple usability we offer.
    http://ubuntugnome.org/faq/
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans

Ubuntu can do everything you need. There is a misconception that Ubuntu is only for beginers, the "only" part is wrong. It is easy and polished enough for beginers but you can also do all the advanced stuffs if you desire, as it is Debian underneath. I haven't done backtrack and OpenSuse, but I am triple booting with Fedora and Debian. I find that often some libraries may be missing in Fedora and if you need to compile from source but you can always find them in Ubuntu/Debian. Also some third party software is built only for Ubuntu (hence works in Debian) but not Fedora/redhat, to get them to work you need to compile them but as I said, sometimes you may be missing some dependencies and have to hunt them down. So overall there is no big difference, but I would give Ubuntu the edge.

(There are more hardcore distros like gentoo and slackware where you can only do things the hard way, but I have never used them. )

Beans

Thanks a lot monkeybrain. I was aware of Ubuntu not being only for begginers. I was needing help towards the features of each one. Ubuntu real seems to have everything. Had I partitioned well my hard drive I could triple bot with Opensuse (which is the one i was leaning towards to). Guess I just got demotivated due to the slowness my Ubuntu has been suffering from. I used Opensuse through LiveUsb and I could really tell the difference in the smoothness. YaST was also a pretty cool tool.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NapkinMan View Post
    although the one i liked the most was the KDE of Opensuse 12.3.
    If you want KDE, you can just open a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by NapkinMan View Post
    ... please forgive me if i'm wrong, Ubuntu just seemed very "juvenile" when compared to the other ones i tried...
    I'd be curious as to what you mean by juvenile. I take you're referring to Unity(?). If you like Gnome classic, try Xubuntu.
    PopularPages, a useful index of the most frequently accessed pages in the Community Help Wiki.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Hidden!

Beside a particular desktop environment like Kde, Xfce, gnome ect. I suggest you try distros with different package managers. In my case after testing apt-get and pacman I came across entropy/equo in Sabayon and realize that it was the one for me. I believed that in order to get the most out of your system, any gnu/linux user should familiarize with the package manager that your distribution use.

Regards
    Last edited by Lemuriano; May 23rd, 2013 at 05:17 AM.
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    I'd be curious as to what you mean by juvenile. I take you're referring to Unity(?). If you like Gnome classic, try Xubuntu.
    Yup, thanks for pointing that out. I'll correct it right away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast