Thread: Installing Java

Beans

Installing Java

hello my name is musharraf i'm 10 years old.
    I am trying to install Java. I dont get why my install keeps failing.
    It keeps saying 'item can not be read'.

Can anyone help me?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: please help me to install java

You can install OpenJDK from the repo. If you must use Oracle's Java the easiest way is explained here http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: please help me to install java

Welcome to the forums!

More information is needed in order to help you. First, what release of Ubuntu are you using? You can identify it by its name (something like "Raring Ringtail" or "Precise Pangolin") or its number (like 12.04 or 13.04).

Secondly, where did you obtain the package and how are you trying to install it? (If you downloaded it from a website, please specify the address.)
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Installing Java

Here are step by step instruction that shows how to install Oracle Java 7 update 21 on Ubuntu 13.04: http://hendrelouw73.wordpress.com/20...u-13-04-linux/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yeah, he could do it that rather complicated way...but if he would like to do it easily....here's the place to go:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html

He simply pastes in 3 terminal commands, agrees to the java license on the third command, and not only does he have the latest Oracle Java but a ppa updater is placed in the ubuntu updater that will bring in the latest versions as they are released

Actually, monkeybrain2012 posted this link before this post...we both can tell you that it works great!
    Last edited by craig10x; May 22nd, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I do not agree with craig10x. Although the PPA method provided by www.webupd8.org is quicker it is problamatic in the following areas:

1. You do not have insight into the scripts that get's executed when installing from a PPA. Hence viruses can easily be installed via the PPA.
    2. Second in the case of Java you do not want the PPA to automatically update to the latest version. You might have software that rely on the currently installed version.
    3. Following the blog post provided by hendrel is great for a newby since it provides step by step instructions on the installation process. Something you will need to know as a programmer anyhow.

Beans

looks like your installation key number is not correct

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hendrel View Post
    1. You do not have insight into the scripts that get's executed when installing from a PPA. Hence viruses can easily be installed via the PPA.
    webupd8.org is highly trusted. Do you have any better insight into what happens when you install something from the official repos? All the webupd8 installer does is download the official Oracle Java 7 installation and follow the installation instructions.

2. Second in the case of Java you do not want the PPA to automatically update to the latest version. You might have software that rely on the currently installed version.
    Yes, actually, you do want updates immediately. Updates contain security fixes. If you have software that specifies a particular version, the software is poorly written. I have never encountered this issue unless software looks for Java 6, in which case I won't use it.

3. Following the blog post provided by hendrel is great for a newby since it provides step by step instructions on the installation process. Something you will need to know as a programmer anyhow.
    Why would a programmer necessarily need to know how the JVM and JDK are installed?

I help maintain the wiki in my signature. I specifically made sure that the webupd8 method is at the top of the list of command line methods because it is simply the easiest method and it does update Oracle Java 7 automatically.

I have been working with Java for many years and, as a software developer, I can say that this is simply the best way to go about it.
    Last edited by QIII; May 22nd, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.