Thread: Problem: perl negative look-ahead assertion in multi-line mode

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Problem: perl negative look-ahead assertion in multi-line mode

Hello,

I has updated/modified my mysql database in my computer recently. I have to re-code all my php files such that an extra statement has to be inserted before the last mysql_query call. It may have more than one mysql_query call in some of my php files.

I try to use a negative look-ahead assertion to make such a change as follows.

I would like to insert just one "new_insert" line before the "coding line 4". And my php file looks like this.
    Code:
    $ echo -e "coding line 1 test 1\ncoding line 2 mysql_query 2\ncoding line 3 test 3\ncoding line 4 mysql_query 4\ncoding line 5 test 5"
    coding line 1 test 1
    coding line 2 mysql_query 2
    coding line 3 test 3
    coding line 4 mysql_query 4
    coding line 5 test 5
    Then I perl-regex with negative look-ahead assertion in multi-line mode (/smg or /sg or /mg) like this:
    Code:
    $ echo -e "coding line 1 test 1\ncoding line 2 mysql_query 2\ncoding line 3 test 3\ncoding line 4 mysql_query 4\ncoding line 5 test 5" | perl -pe '/mysql_query(?!.*mysql_query)/smg && print "new_insert\n"'
    coding line 1 test 1
    new_insert
    coding line 3 test 3
    new_insert
    coding line 5 test 5
    However, my "coding line 2" gets changed too. And that is not what I'm looking for.

Or, perl negative look-ahead assertion doesn't like me! Can you please let me know what I'm missing?

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Best Regards,
    cibalo
    Last edited by cibalo; May 25th, 2013 at 12:49 AM.

Re: Problem: perl negative look-ahead assertion in multi-line mode

Each time through the loop, the pattern gets matched only against the current line, disregarding the rest of the file. That pattern will match the last occurrence of the string 'mysql_query' on any line that contains it at least once.

Much like your last thread, you're trying to do something complex with regular expressions when what you really need is a very simple expression and some plain old code. I'd push each input line onto a stack until I find one that matches /mysql_query/, then flush the stack to output and start over... when you're out of input you'll have a stack that contains everything from the file's last mysql_query line to the end. Then just print new_insert followed by @lines. I'd provide pseudocode but I gotta go. Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!

Instead of pseudocode, I provide a sed expression for this:
    Code:
    sed -nr '1h;1!H;${g;s/(.*)(\n.*mysql_query)/\1\nnew_insert\2/p}'
    You may also want to have a look at this post for several variations of the same theme.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello trent.josephsen and schragge,

Thank you very much for your valuable replies.

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    Each time through the loop, the pattern gets matched only against the current line, disregarding the rest of the file.
    Quote Originally Posted by schragge View Post
    Instead of pseudocode, I provide a sed expression for this:
    Code:
    sed -nr '1h;1!H;${g;s/(.*)(\n.*mysql_query)/\1\nnew_insert\2/p}'
    I follow schragge's algorithm and provide a perl expression as follows.

Code:
    $ echo -e "coding line 1 test 1\ncoding line 2 mysql_query 2\ncoding line 3 test 3\ncoding line 4 mysql_query 4\ncoding line 5 test 5"|perl -0pe 's/(.*)(\n.*?mysql_query.*?\n)/$1\nnew_insert$2/sm'
    coding line 1 test 1
    coding line 3 test 3
    new_insert
    coding line 5 test 5

It's the same algorithm, just applied to the whole file at once.

Quote Originally Posted by jwz
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think “I know, I'll use regular expressions.” Now they have two problems.
    I always defended regular expressions when this quote has come up, but now maybe I see what Zawinski was talking about.