Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Addition of Programming Languages to "How to Start Programming" Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Suggestion: Addition of Programming Languages to "How to Start Programming" Thread

As of right now, the How to Start Programming thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333867) has resources for beginner programmers for the following languages:

Ada
    Assembly
    bash
    C
    C++
    C#
    Common Lisp
    D
    FreeBASIC
    Go (Golang)
    Java
    Objective-C
    OCaml
    Pascal
    Perl
    PHP
    Python
    Ruby
    Scheme
    Squeak
    Tcl
    Vala

I'm thinking we should expand the list with some other popular and useful languages, such as the following:

Erlang
    Scala
    Lua
    X10
    Fortran
    Haskell
    COBOL
    Delphi

Any thoughts?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Suggestion: Addition of Programming Languages to "How to Start Programming" Threa

Sure, go ahead and write them up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Suggestion: Addition of Programming Languages to "How to Start Programming" Threa

Quote Originally Posted by King Dude View Post
    I'm thinking we should expand the list with some other popular and useful languages, such as the following:

Erlang
    Erlang is referred to in post #71, here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=1#post9536203

I haven't checked for the others, but you might want to go through the thread and see if the others are already dealt with before you add your own contributions.

Thanks for your interest!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Cool. How should I go about posting my contribution once I write them up?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by King Dude View Post
    Cool. How should I go about posting my contribution once I write them up?
    Go to the thread and click on the "Reply to Thread" button.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Go to the thread and click on the "Reply to Thread" button.
    It says that it's a closed thread.

And what if the learning resources for a language were a page on the Ubuntu Wiki rather than in a thread like it is now? It's just that I believe that would be a lot more organized that way.
    Last edited by King Dude; May 22nd, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry about that. Didn't notice it was closed. It's open now and you're welcome to post, but I've got a better idea. The problem is that forum design is not well suited to this sort of thing, where the original list needs updating from time to time. Only the OP and staff can edit the first post. Wikis are much more appropriate for this, where wiki pages can be edited by any interested member of the Ubuntu community.

Have a look at this forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=428

And have a think about creating a wiki page for all this information. It would be useful.

Thanks.
    Last edited by coffeecat; May 22nd, 2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Yeah a Wiki would be fantastic for this. I'll see what I can do, thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Should I make the page on Ubuntu's wiki, or...?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Have a look at the sticky in the subforum I linked earlier. Community documentation should be here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast