Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to install Win7 - "The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Unable to install Win7 - "The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"

I do not know about System76 system.
    They may just be using gpt partitioning with BIOS as that is how I boot my system which does not have UEFI capability.
    But Windows only installs to gpt with UEFI. If you do not have UEFI, and you really want Windows you have to totally erase drive and start from scratch. You will have to use fixparts also as posted above.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can you take a picture of the option in the BIOS you're referring to? There shouldn't be such an option on our systems.

In any case, switching to UEFI will require reinstalling Ubuntu. Switching to an MSDOS disk will also require reinstalling Ubuntu.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I think you may be overcomplicating this. Windows 7 wants to be the first OS on your hard drive.

Back up your Ubuntu data, wipe the drive, install Windows, repartition and intall Ubuntu.
    If Windows won't erase the drive then use a Ubuntu LiveCD to wipe it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Windows (7 at least) has no preference where it lives on the drive, and we've had several test installations with Ubuntu coming before Windows.

The issue ebeyer was having is that our systems come with GPT partition tables and a traditional BIOS firmware. Windows will only install to a BIOS system if the disk is MSDOS, or to a GPT system if it uses UEFI. Not both.

We are looking at switching to UEFI boot methods for future models.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Windows (7 at least) has no preference where it lives on the drive, and we've had several test installations with Ubuntu coming before Windows.
    Apologies, I was not aware of that. I had a similar problem myself last year with trying to install Windows7 after Ubuntu, and was able to solve it by installing Win7 first, then Ubuntu. I had Grub set up to go into Ubuntu by default. So my comment was based only on my own experience.

Beans

I had this problem too with my new 1 TB hard drive from Seagate. I had tried everything to be able to install Windows 8 on the new hard drive or even Windows 7…And of course I went into different websites trying to search for the answer and nothing really helped! Only on the Microsoft website it did say something about installing Windows XP. It was the last recourse I had. Luckily for me, I had an old copy of Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. When installing Windows XP, I did run into the part that I needed to select the partition where I wanted to install the OS. I selected it and…it gave me the same error message, however, it did provide me with instructions as to how to resolve the issue. It said to go back and delete the partition and create a new partition. I did it. The GPT partition seemed to be raw data, even though I was able to save any type of files in the GPT partition. I performed a quick format of the new NTFS partition and there it was, the Windows XP Professional SP 3 succesfully installed in a previous impossible GPT partition!! And immediately after I installed the new Windows Blue [Windows 8.1] without a problem!! I hope it actually helps anyone else who has the same problems as I did!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12