Thread: S.M.A.R.T. Data Errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

S.M.A.R.T. Data Errors

I took a look at my sister's laptop hard drive with S.M.A.R.T. from the disk utility from Ubuntu Live and got a bunch of errors. I am wondering if I need to replace this ASAP or if this can work for awhile until she can purchase a new laptop.

ID
    Attribute
    Assessment
    Value
    4 Start/Stop Count Failing Normalized: 1, Worst, 1, Threshold: 20, Value: 110675
    190 Airflow Temperature Failed in the past Normalized: 60, Worst: 39, Threshold: 45, Value: 40C
    197 Current Pending Sector Count Warning Normalized: 100, Worst: 100, Threshold: 0, Value: 2 sectors

Thanks in advance let me know what you think.

"Excellent" -- mrburns

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: S.M.A.R.T. Data Errors

How old is the drive? Your start/stop count is unusually high. If this is a Western Digital drive, then there is a utility to reduce the cycle count. Two sectors are potentially failing. I would keep an eye on that. If they grow to over 100, then that could be a problem. Back up important data. Make it a habit to check the SMART parameters once a week and look for trends. The temperature of the drive will fluctuate, so that is usually not a failure problem. If the temperature is over 50C consistently, then that may indicate failing electronics or a bearing issue.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.