Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a Raspberry Pi?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

What is a Raspberry Pi?

Hi,
    I have read up on it, but what can it do? Is it literally JUST for learning programming? How is it just for learning programming?
    If it is simply for learning programming, can other languages be learned on it? Other than the ones listed I mean.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: What is a Raspberry Pi?

You can use it for all sorts of things. I know a few people who use it as a router (with USB attached network cards). I know someone use uses it as a NAS (via USB hard drive).

I was thinking about using it as a WAP, but didn't feel like messing with it.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It's a full fledged (if not very powerful) computer. It even outputs HD video.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    You can use it for all sorts of things. I know a few people who use it as a router (with USB attached network cards). I know someone use uses it as a NAS (via USB hard drive).

I was thinking about using it as a WAP, but didn't feel like messing with it.
    Isn't a NAS networking storage? I don't know much about that stuff, or if I even have that right!
    What's WAP though?

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    It's a full fledged (if not very powerful) computer. It even outputs HD video.
    That's strange. So it's just a computer that you can use for whatever it can do. It's just the goal of those who made it to have it as a programming base.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

As an inexpensive platform for studying computer science, actually.

But it is a computer and a lot of people use them for a lot of purposes. Robotics controls, CNC, NAS, routers, silent HTPCs, etc.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    As an inexpensive platform for studying computer science, actually.

But it is a computer and a lot of people use them for a lot of purposes. Robotics controls, CNC, NAS, routers, silent HTPCs, etc.
    Ahh I see.
    That's an answer I was expecting because of what I've been reading about them. But what makes them ideal (or at least good enough to buy) for learning computer science?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

They are inexpensive and they are a fully functional computer.

Beans

They are a tiny low power linux box which costs $40. So cheap that you can buy them for small personal projects. E.g. I ripped out my old central home alarm system and replaced it with Raspberry Pi + PiFace board (another $40). Now I get emails and sms messages when any alarm fires and my wife and I have full internet/web based arm/disarm and history/status etc on our mobile phones. MUCH better than the old system and dirt cheap to do.

I stuck another one on the back of a spare room TV to give me XMBC. It's powered by a USB slot on the TV and just powers up and down with the TV so it's like adding XBMC (or Plex) to your TV for $40 plus a cheap HDMI cable + SD card.

Just recently a cheap plug-on camera board was released. I am sure I can think of some fun projects for that!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I live in the UK, and have been comparing Raspberry PIs on ebay.com and ebay.co.uk. The prices on the .com (USA a presume) are generally better than the British site. But I have noticed that some of the ads on the US site state "UK version". Is there a difference between "UK" Pis and "USA" Pis, or am I better off just going for the cheapest? I don't want to buy one from the US site just to discover it won't work in UK for some reason....?
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I do not believe there is any difference between a "US" and "UK" version of the Raspberry Pi.

Maybe a different power adapter, though.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast