Thread: How to group application windows?

Beans

How to group application windows?

As most people, I work on multiple windows/applications at a time (e.g. have 2-3 terminals and 1-2 other programs open)
    which are positioned at a specific layout on the screen (e.g. terminal-1 in top-right, editor in top-left etc)

When I open up another application these windows will go to the background and I will need to activate each one in turn through Alt+Tab.
    I would like to group the application windows together, such that, I could active all them at once (e.g. with Alt+Tab)

is this possible?

thanks

Beans

Re: How to group application windows?

The solution is to use a different workspace for each group. Then, when you switch the active workspace, that group will be ready to go. See: 'Workspace switcher'.

Beans

I've noticed this on Unity as well. I think(?) you can change that behaviour in CCSM. Just disable the setting in the Unity plugin and then enable static application switcher.

FYI, if you use GNOME Shell instead (as I do) then it alt-tabs the way you ask for. So does Mac OSX Mountain Lion.

Beans

Hi and thanks for the replies.

@Dennis Currently, I am using different workspaces but still it is not as comfortable as Alt+Tab would be
    @markbl I tried CCSM but for my version (13.* ) it seems that the the "Group and Tab" feature is missing. The website of the plugin is down
    and people have noticed this feature missing before on this forum.