Thread: live cd boot for diskless intel based macbook?

Beans

live cd boot for diskless intel based macbook?

I have a 4 year old macbook with no hard drive. I want to boot it into ubuntu with a live cd or dvd.

* Do I ned a special cd or dvd image, or will just the standard one from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD do okay? No mention of apple of mqacintosh on that page.

* do I need to replace the hard drive before booting? I'd rather not, I just want this for web surfing, usb stick and cloud storage good enough for me.

* bios vs. rEFIt?

I found another page that describes how to boot from USB (http://studyblast.wordpress.com/2011...ssds-firmware/), not what I want (though maybe a workaround).

thanks,
    TDB

Beans

Re: live cd boot for diskless intel based macbook?

I think there are special liveCDs/liveDVDs for Macs because their EFI doesn't deal well with stuff made to run on a computer with a BIOS (or something)
    And you shouldn't need to reinstall a drive.

Beans

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. But the live cd page says nothing about macs, has no link, so I am stumped. How did you find the disk image you used to install ubuntu on your mac?
    TDB

Beans

I don't actually have a Mac, I'm just repeating what I've heard elsewhere.

Anyway, it seems that the special Mac disk image only exists for lubuntu, so the other flavors might have the Mac support baked in. I'd try using a regular 64 bit live CD and come back for help if necessary.

Beans

When I put in the dvd for ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso and boot, I get white screen, then icons lower middle screen (keybd=man) on black background, then blinking cursor upper left. That's all.

Then I tried the USB key method. White screen, then I see a menu with "try ubuntu without installing" at the top, hit enter, black screen, the end.

This is on a macbook pro, 2009 vintage, no hard drive.

Beans

I tried lubuntu's mac-specific disk image. Similar to the USB deal, I ended up with a useless blinking cursor on a black background. maybe this model is not compatible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

That model should be compatible. I'd skip the lubuntu distro and instead boot to 12.04 AMD64 disk that you have. When you power on the machine hold down the alt/option key. You should see a selection for that disk. If possible select the EFI one.

Beans

What is the model of the macbook pro ?

Code:
    sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name
    if you have two graphic cards you probably need to boot in efi mode using rfefit and change the grub entry manually to disable the discrete card. That is what happened to me with a macbookpro 8,2.

Try changing the grub entry so it looks similar to this:

Code:
    recordfail
        load_video
        gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod btrfs
        set root='hd0,gpt3'
        outb 0x728 1
        outb 0x710 2
        outb 0x740 2
        outb 0x750 0
        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt3 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt3 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt3  f2e4e4d3-2d8e-4764-a818-de9176405c4b
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root f2e4e4d3-2d8e-4764-a818-de9176405c4b
        fi
        echo    'A carregar Linux 3.8.0-22-lowlatency ...'
        linux    /@/boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-22-lowlatency root=UUID=f2e4e4d3-2d8e-4764-a818-de9176405c4b ro rootflags=subvol=@   video=efifb i915.modeset=1 i915.lvds_channel_mode=2 i915.lvds_use_ssc=0 nosplash
        echo    'A carregar ramdisk inicial ...'
        initrd    /@/boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-22-lowlatency
    The things to add are:
    Code:
        outb 0x728 1
        outb 0x710 2
        outb 0x740 2
        outb 0x750 0
    and

Code:
    video=efifb i915.modeset=1 i915.lvds_channel_mode=2 i915.lvds_use_ssc=0
    Everytime I boot from my usb stick I have to enter this code by hand...

best,
    Miguel

Beans

I did this, EFi shows up but not selectable, no arrow underneath. So I choose windows, it flashes the bootlogo, then goes black and dies. I think it let me select EFI once, but still did not work. (I've done it several times.)

Beans

I can't do dmidecode because I can't boot. I don't know how to get to grub when booting from the DVD.

Here is info from a laptop I think is identical:

Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook5,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache: 3 MB Memory: 2 GB Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03 SMC Version (system): 1.40f2 Serial Number (system): Hardware UUID: D28EE0A5-122D-5CC0-B4F5-A36534D7970F Sudden Motion Sensor: State: Enabled Intel High Definition Audio: Device ID: 0x10DECB79 Audio ID: 63 Available Devices: Headphone: Connection: Combo Line In: Connection: Combo Speaker: Connection: Internal Internal Microphone: Connection: Internal External Microphone: Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack S/P-DIF Out: Connection: Combo S/P-DIF In: Connection: Combo Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.1.9f10 Services: Bluetooth File Transfer: Folder other devices can browse: ~/BLUETOOTH_EXCHANGE Requires Authentication: Yes State: Enabled Bluetooth File Exchange: Folder for accepted items: ~/BLUETOOTH_EXCHANGE Requires Authentication: Yes When other items are accepted: Ask When PIM items are accepted: Ask When receiving items: Prompt for each file State: Enabled Incoming Serial Ports: Serial Port 1: Name: Bluetooth-PDA-Sync RFCOMM Channel: 3 Requires Authentication: No Outgoing Serial Ports: Serial Port 1: Address: Name: Bluetooth-Modem RFCOMM Channel: 0 Requires Authentication: No HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS21N: Firmware Revision: SA18 Interconnect: ATAPI Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive) Cache: 2048 KB Reads DVD: Yes CD-Write: -R, -RW DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds NVIDIA GeForce 9400M: Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M Type: Display Bus: PCI VRAM (Total): 256 MB Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de) Device ID: 0x0863 Revision ID: 0x00b1 ROM Revision: 3385 Displays: Color LCD: Resolution: 1280 x 800 Depth: 32-Bit Color Core Image: Hardware Accelerated Main Display: Yes Mirror: Off Online: Yes Quartz Extreme: Supported Built-In: Yes Display Connector: Status: No Display Connected Memory Slots: ECC: Disabled BANK 0/DIMM0: Size: 1 GB Type: DDR3 Speed: 1067 MHz Status: OK Manufacturer: 0x802C Part Number: 0x384A53463132383634485A2D314731463120 Serial Number: 0xFB000E91