Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13.04 Graphics, Speed, Heat and Other Issues on Hp Pavillion DV6000

Beans

Question 13.04 Graphics, Speed, Heat and Other Issues on Hp Pavillion DV6000

Hello Ubuntu-ers and Penguin Lovers!

I've been am Ubuntu user and a Penguin lover for a little over a year now, and for the most part, I'm ADDICTED! I love it. I've posted here a handful of times with problems that typically are solved immediately, yet another reason I love Ubuntu

Pretty recently I upgraded my laptop to 13.04 and where I had NO problems previously (meaning in 12.04 or 12.10) I now do have these problems. My first thought is my HP Pavillion DV6000 is simply too old to handle everything Linux is putting out now, but truthfully, I don't know if that's the case.

My main concerns are as stated in the Thread Title - Heat, Speed and Graphics issues. I have a few other little bugs I have noticed, but I wanted to address the big boys first.

Speed -- I've read a few things like change the swappiness, and using zram for speed. Would these help? If so, what is the safest way to do this? And is there anything else that could help?

Heat -- I used to use Jupiter, which seemed to work flawlessly in 12.04 and 12.10 but in 13.04 it's really buggy. Could this be my older laptop just not being able to keep up? When Jupiter does decide to work properly it says my comp is running at like 80 degrees or so, compared to the low 70's it used to. That can't be good right?

Graphics -- As of my 13.04 upgrade I've noticed some pretty wonky graphics issues. First being when I click the Dash button to search for an App or File I get some weird graphics quirks. Nothing disabling, but definitely annoying and it was NEVER like that prior to the 13.04 upgrade. I've also noticed similar wonky graphics stuff when veiwing streaming videos such as YouTube or movies online etc. I have yet to try with an actual DVD because I assume if it can't view YouTube properly a DVD might just kill it.

I've only noticed these issues/bugs as of 13.04 so like I said earlier, could it be my laptop just cannot handle it? I do know I can change desktop environments, I did that on my Asus EEE Pc netbook, it is running 13.04 Lubuntu and it works BEAUTIFULLY!

I would prefer to keep the Unity desktop on my larger laptop, but if I cannot, then well I cannot. I have installed the gnome fallback, but I still see most of the same bugs/issues, the only exception being there is no Dash button so I do not get that Graphics error.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
    And thank you in advance to everyone that takes the time to help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 13.04 Graphics, Speed, Heat and Other Issues on Hp Pavillion DV6000

I have a Presario V6000 which I believe is very similar and from the same era and for me 13.04 runs cooler and uses less resources.
    I did have some graphics glitches until I installed the nVidia drivers, also it seems to run snappier.
    I did upgrade to 2 gig of ram. and alocated in bios some extra system ram to the graphics card.
    What graphic card, and how much memory do you have?

Strange that such similar machines would react so differently.
    Hope you get it sorted.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Have you tried to disassemble the cooling unit and clean it for accumulated dust?
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

News flash: How old is your DV6000? You are probably not aware that these had a worldwide recall because of a fatal design fault. Mine is now a doorstop, or good for it only.

The first sign is generally the wireless going, though, then the motherboard soon after, so you may have a different issue. But it doesn't sound pretty. It could be coincidental that this happened when you upgraded to 12.10 (not sure why you would upgrade from five years support to 18 months unless there is some very specific reason to fix something that's not broke) or could be inherent to 12.10 and your hardware.

Anyhow, HP offered to repair/replace these machines during the warranty period and from memory for 12 months beyond the warranty expiry. They were forced to by public pressure after initially refusing to even acknowledge there was a problem. This was a real win for the consumer because their attitude and behaviour about the whole thing stank.

Don't want to be the voice of doom and this may not be your problem, but just thought I'd give you a heads up regarding the worldwide recall on these models (only if they showed the symptoms and not all of them did). Have a dig and you'll find info about it. Good luck.

PS: If there was no real reason to upgrade to 12.10 I would simply reinstall 12.04 LTS and sit back til 2017 with a stable machine unless you are on a quest to fix bugs. Create a couple of spare partitions to play around with the interim releases, install 12.10 on one of them and maybe report any probs to help develops (which will help create another stable LTS when they get there).
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; May 22nd, 2013 at 11:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

These are probably all related. If your graphics card is ATI or Nvidia and you don't have the driver installed, the system will use CPU rendering which will use more CPU power, causing slowdown and raising the heat level.

What graphics card or GPU do you have?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

@buckyball -
    I'm not 100'% sure how old it is(bought it used for cheap and installed linux on it) but it's a couple years old for sure. I didn't know about the recall, but it was ok before the upgrade. I suppose i will take your advice and reinstall 12.04, I just always like to see whats new, whats coming and I do dabble in bug fixes, though not a full on OS developer. Not smart this time obviously.

Beans

@mrgs I have not tried to disassemble anything. That seems like a last resort.

Beans

@ arpanaut I'm not totally sure, this is a new comp to me. as I said I bought it used so that could have something to do with it

Beans

What graphics card or GPU do you have?
    Nvidia I think

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by Myst1234 View Post
    @mrgs I have not tried to disassemble anything. That seems like a last resort.
    Well... when I get my hands on some used gear it's always the first I do.

Though you like Unity you could also try Lubuntu for comparison. Every way of generating less heat is beneficial.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast