Thread: Question regarding migrating the dhcpd.leases file for ISC-DHCP-SERVER

Beans

Question regarding migrating the dhcpd.leases file for ISC-DHCP-SERVER

Backstory: I am in the process of replacing a SINGLE Debian 3.1 (Sarge) ISC-DHCP-SERVER (v3.0.1) with 2 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64 servers running ISC-DHCP-SERVER (v4.1-ESV-R4) in failover mode. I've been unable to find the answer to this on Google, and my internal testing on an empty subnet has yielded interesting results (please note I'm relatively new to Linux):

Here are my 3 questions:

1) Should I copy the dhcpd.leases and dhcpd.leases~ files from my Debian server to /var/lib/dhcp/ on both of the new servers and then start the DHCP services? Will the files then balance themselves?

2) Should I copy the dhcpd.leases and dhcpd.leases~ files to /var/lib/dhcp/ on only the primary failover server, and let the secondary server generate one from scratch after the DHCP services have been started?

3) Should I not bother copying the files at all, and let the 2 new Ubuntu servers generate the files from scratch in /var/lib/dhcp/?

TIA!
    -Snipe

Beans

Re: Question regarding migrating the dhcpd.leases file for ISC-DHCP-SERVER

Is there any reason you want to have the clients keep the same leases?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Is there any reason you want to have the clients keep the same leases?
    Hey,

We don't care if the clients keep the same leases, as long as they successfully get leases. Please note we're running a mixed Windows and Linux environment.

Thanks,
    -Snipe

Beans

Then you don't need the leases file. It doesn't matter what the clients are running.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I agree. I think you'll be best off letting the server do its own leases file. Trying to migrate one from a different server and version is asking for trouble.

Beans

Thank you VERY much for the help everyone, I'll be going with brand new, empty files =)

-Snipe