Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: gtk-apps.org Problem.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    gtk-apps.org Problem.

    I'm subscribed to gtk-apps.org rss feed for new content and receive feed news ok
    but for the last couple of weeks the site won't load.
    Is it just me?
    http://gtk-apps.org/
    Last edited by stinkeye; June 25th, 2013 at 03:08 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    626
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: gtk-apps.org Problem.

    I tried loading the page, but it didn't seem to load. In the bottom left corner of Firefox, it hung on "Connecting to static.gtk-apps.org", so I tried the following:

    Code:
    cipherboy@ubuntu-basement:~$ ping gtk-apps.org
    PING gtk-apps.org (188.138.118.86) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from gtk (188.138.118.86): icmp_req=1 ttl=53 time=142 ms
    64 bytes from gtk (188.138.118.86): icmp_req=2 ttl=53 time=143 ms
    64 bytes from gtk (188.138.118.86): icmp_req=3 ttl=53 time=143 ms
    ^C
    --- gtk-apps.org ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 142.930/143.328/143.714/0.541 ms
    cipherboy@ubuntu-basement:~$ ping static.gtk-apps.org
    PING static.gtk-apps.org (80.190.241.68) 56(84) bytes of data.
    ^C
    --- static.gtk-apps.org ping statistics ---
    6 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4999ms
    
    cipherboy@ubuntu-basement:~$ wget gtk-apps.org
    --2013-05-21 17:06:37--  http://gtk-apps.org/
    Resolving gtk-apps.org (gtk-apps.org)... 188.138.118.86
    Connecting to gtk-apps.org (gtk-apps.org)|188.138.118.86|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: unspecified [text/html]
    Saving to: ‘index.html’
    
        [   <=>                                 ] 117,936      154KB/s   in 0.7s   
    
    2013-05-21 17:06:38 (154 KB/s) - ‘index.html’ saved [117936]
    
    cipherboy@ubuntu-basement:~$ cat index.html 
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
    {snip}
    <script type='text/javascript' src='http://kona.kontera.com/javascript/lib/KonaLibInline.js'>
    </script>
    <!-- end Kontera(TM) --> 
    </body></html>
    cipherboy@ubuntu-basement:~$  wget static.gtk-apps.org
    --2013-05-21 17:10:26--  http://static.gtk-apps.org/
    Resolving static.gtk-apps.org (static.gtk-apps.org)... 80.190.241.68
    Connecting to static.gtk-apps.org (static.gtk-apps.org)|80.190.241.68|:80... ^C
    cipherboy@ubuntu-basement:~$ 
    In other words...the site proper is fine, but the content off of static.gtk-apps.org doesn't seem to work, at least for me.


    Thanks,
    Cipherboy LOC

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: gtk-apps.org Problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by cipherboy_loc View Post
    I tried loading the page, but it didn't seem to load. In the bottom left corner of Firefox, it hung on "Connecting to static.gtk-apps.org", so I tried the following:

    Code:
    cipherboy@ubuntu-basement:~$ ping gtk-apps.org
    PING gtk-apps.org (188.138.118.86) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from gtk (188.138.118.86): icmp_req=1 ttl=53 time=142 ms
    64 bytes from gtk (188.138.118.86): icmp_req=2 ttl=53 time=143 ms
    64 bytes from gtk (188.138.118.86): icmp_req=3 ttl=53 time=143 ms
    ^C
    --- gtk-apps.org ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 142.930/143.328/143.714/0.541 ms
    cipherboy@ubuntu-basement:~$ ping static.gtk-apps.org
    PING static.gtk-apps.org (80.190.241.68) 56(84) bytes of data.
    ^C
    --- static.gtk-apps.org ping statistics ---
    6 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4999ms
    
    cipherboy@ubuntu-basement:~$ wget gtk-apps.org
    --2013-05-21 17:06:37--  http://gtk-apps.org/
    Resolving gtk-apps.org (gtk-apps.org)... 188.138.118.86
    Connecting to gtk-apps.org (gtk-apps.org)|188.138.118.86|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: unspecified [text/html]
    Saving to: ‘index.html’
    
        [   <=>                                 ] 117,936      154KB/s   in 0.7s   
    
    2013-05-21 17:06:38 (154 KB/s) - ‘index.html’ saved [117936]
    
    cipherboy@ubuntu-basement:~$ cat index.html 
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
    {snip}
    <script type='text/javascript' src='http://kona.kontera.com/javascript/lib/KonaLibInline.js'>
    </script>
    <!-- end Kontera(TM) --> 
    </body></html>
    cipherboy@ubuntu-basement:~$  wget static.gtk-apps.org
    --2013-05-21 17:10:26--  http://static.gtk-apps.org/
    Resolving static.gtk-apps.org (static.gtk-apps.org)... 80.190.241.68
    Connecting to static.gtk-apps.org (static.gtk-apps.org)|80.190.241.68|:80... ^C
    cipherboy@ubuntu-basement:~$ 
    In other words...the site proper is fine, but the content off of static.gtk-apps.org doesn't seem to work, at least for me.


    Thanks,
    Cipherboy LOC
    Yep, that's what I'm seeing.
    My browser stalls at Connecting to remote host static.gtk-apps.org
    and has been like that for a couple of weeks.
    The kde-apps.org site loads fine.
    Sent an email to opendesktop.org
    Last edited by stinkeye; May 22nd, 2013 at 05:38 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    6,337
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: gtk-apps.org Problem.

    @stinkeye, I edited my /etc/hosts file to include
    127.0.0.1 http://static.gtk-apps.org

    I did this because while the link you provided doesn't load (as we've seen), I could use Ctr+U to view the source of the page. That had this:
    h t t p : / / static.gtk-apps.org/styles/global-style.css and some other stuff that may not be crucial to the content.

    So when I tried to load your link again with the modified hosts file, it loaded without styles and presumably some fancy javascript stuff.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: gtk-apps.org Problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    @stinkeye, I edited my /etc/hosts file to include
    127.0.0.1 http://static.gtk-apps.org

    I did this because while the link you provided doesn't load (as we've seen), I could use Ctr+U to view the source of the page. That had this:
    h t t p : / / static.gtk-apps.org/styles/global-style.css and some other stuff that may not be crucial to the content.

    So when I tried to load your link again with the modified hosts file, it loaded without styles and presumably some fancy javascript stuff.
    Hi, vasa1...
    Yeah that seems to work. Bit messy but readable and dowload links still work.
    At least the page loads when I click on a link in the RSS feed.
    Thanks.

    Edit: Thanks also to cipherboy_loc for your input.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stinkeye; May 22nd, 2013 at 07:50 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    6,337
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: gtk-apps.org Problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Hi, vasa1...
    Yeah that seems to work. Bit messy but readable and dowload links still work.
    At least the page loads when I click on a link in the RSS feed.
    Thanks.
    Glad I could help. Someone needs to fix that site. It's quite informative!

    I visited it with Google Chrome 27 thinking I might be luckier. But that browser just had "sending request" in its status bar. Firefox showed the link which was the "blocker" in its status bar so I knew what to look for in the source.

    Edit:
    I don't use /etc/hosts normally and I think
    127.0.0.1 static.gtk-apps.org
    would be the appropriate thing.
    Last edited by vasa1; May 22nd, 2013 at 07:56 AM.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: gtk-apps.org Problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Glad I could help. Someone needs to fix that site. It's quite informative!

    I visited it with Google Chrome 27 thinking I might be luckier. But that browser just had "sending request" in its status bar. Firefox showed the link which was the "blocker" in its status bar so I knew what to look for in the source.

    Edit:
    I don't use /etc/hosts normally and I think
    127.0.0.1 static.gtk-apps.org
    would be the appropriate thing.
    Yep I use the same thing to block vindsl.com so I don't have to load his 1Mb conky screenshots everytime
    he changes his wallpaper.
    That's just between you and me, though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •