Thread: success!!

Beans

Cool success!!

Ok, breaking into another area of the forum here. Yeah, stepping out of "for absolute beginners" for the first time! May not go far from there, but hey? Lets live a little huh? I have successfully installed Ubuntu so it seems. Along side Windows as I haven't gotten everything out of there yet. Now I guess I go look around and see what I need (if any?) for internet potection. Does my camera upload? So forth and so on.
    I like what I see so far. Nice and simple, like I want it. I'll figure out how to auto hide the bar on the left soon enough.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: success!!

Good stuff! It's a few years since I first installed Ubuntu, but I still remember that slightly heady feeling at getting something to work. Especially if it was something that I'd been told was going to be difficult.

I've broken things a few times and needed to reinstall, but with a good backup to hand it's not the end of the world.
    Last edited by Irihapeti; May 21st, 2013 at 06:17 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

Congrats! And welcome to the wonderful world of linux. One of the best things I can say about ubuntu is the community. I've seen many, and this seems like the best. No question is stupid, you're only stupid for not asking.

Once you get your feet wet and start to understand linux, it's only the beginning. There are so many possibilities about what you can do with it. Take your time, and don't get down if something goes wrong. We've all been there. And most of all, BACKUP YOUR STUFF!

Beans

I'm thinking tomorrow will be a back up day. I have a back up drive (restore drive?) As I seem to recall Ubuntu offers a back up as well. Woo hoo!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hints: Go to "system settings" check out "look" and "behavior" sections...you can change the theme to a lighter one if you prefer (well, kind of grey/silver metallic "Mac" like look....it's my favorite...lol)
    auto hide the unity dock, make the pixels smaller if you wish and control the sensitivity of the auto hide feature...and add the "work spaces" to the unity dock...

Virus protection? this is linux not windows....don't need it...i would go to the software center and download "gufw" (the gui for the linux firewall) and just turn it on, to add a bit of extra protection...
    By the way, been on linux for 4 years now, never got a single virus, malware, ANYTHING....i just turn on the firewall and that's it! Linux has a lot of built in security you don't get on windows (at least not without protection)...

Welcome
    Last edited by craig10x; May 21st, 2013 at 06:51 AM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    auto hide the unity dock, make the pixels smaller if you wish and control the sensitivity of the auto hide feature...and add the "work spaces" to the unity dock...
    In 13.04 only a single virtual desktop is activated by default so there is no "work space switcher" in the dock. To add more desktops you need to use the ccsm, after adding the desktops the workspace switcher icon will appear automatically.

Edited @OP, that means installing the compiz-configuration-settings-manager from the Software Centre, open it, go to 'General Options", click on it then go to the tab "Desktop Size" to choose the number of virtual desktops. Beware that the ccsm is a bit unstable and it may freeze on you or do some weird things, and you may need to logout and login again for changes to take hold.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 21st, 2013 at 06:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Nice one! Most things like cameras just work when you plug them in.
    Open the file manager, Nautilus, plug in your camera or card and it should appear in the left-hand pane. You click the little black triangle next to it's name to unmount it. ("Safely Disconnect" in Windows speak)
    Enjoy

Beans
    Distro

@monkeybrain2012: It's called "enable workspaces" in the behavior section of "appearance" it's unchecked by default, where as it use to be on the unity dock already...checking the box puts it right back on there...
    that is what i was referring to...

And...some like the standard large icons in the unity dock but i make them smaller, moving them down to 38 pixels which i think looks really NEAT

Beans

i always install clamtk just in case. ive gotten 2 viruses in linux in 9 years , my wife one. it can happen but the odds are against it. I also like the Mate desk top and gyache for yahoo messenger. I prefer k3b for disc burning and devede. so they all get installed at install. pretty much after basic install its what ever you want or need. if the distro doesnt have synaptic installed already i install that to. thats me i think its faster than software center
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream