Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Firefox 21 in Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

Upgrade to Firefox 21 in Ubuntu 13.04

I know this might be a stupid question, but I was wondering how to update Firefox 20 to 21 (I don't see the update thing when I go to help/about) because I don't like running out of date web browsers and I don't want to wait forever for Canonical to update the respiratory.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Upgrade to Firefox 21 in Ubuntu 13.04

It has been updated a few days ago.

Easy way, go to terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    If you have synaptic installed you can open it, reload and check for upgrades.

Don't know about the update manager, I have disabled it. Prefer to check updates myself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello and welcome to the forums!

When was the last time you did an update and upgrade/dist-upgrade?

Thanks.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

^ & ^^ Thanks, I just did it but I still have Firefox 20, do I need to restart?

edit: restarted and its still Firefox 20 also tried the GUI way and it said all my software was up to date.
    Last edited by 3mutts; May 21st, 2013 at 02:00 AM.

Beans

I was at FF21 a few days a go and did a fresh install then for testing. Now I also show FF20 since. I'm testing 13.10

Beans

^ Maybe Canonical took it down because something was wrong with it? That's the only thing I can think of if you got reverted back to 20 from 21

Beans

Maybe you need to change your download server.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 21st, 2013 at 03:11 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3mutts View Post
    ^ Maybe Canonical took it down because something was wrong with it? That's the only thing I can think of if you got reverted back to 20 from 21
    Nope. I just uninstalled Firefox, cleaned the cache, and then reinstalled it, It is still FF21.

Edited: to change the download server, open Ubuntu Software Centre, go to Edit > Software Sources and then change the "down load from" entry in the box like in the screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 21st, 2013 at 03:09 AM.

Beans

^ Ill try that next. ( if this doesn't work then Ill download firefox from the website).
    Last edited by 3mutts; May 21st, 2013 at 04:19 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3mutts View Post
    I know this might be a stupid question, but I was wondering how to update Firefox 20 to 21 (I don't see the update thing when I go to help/about) because I don't like running out of date web browsers and I don't want to wait forever for Canonical to update the respiratory.
    1. Canonical does not take anywhere near forever to update the "respiratory" at least as far as Firefox is concerned. The Mozilla team is pretty efficient.
    2. The version of Firefox that is available from the USC does not have the option to update under Help, About. If you want that option, you'll have to get Firefox direct from http://www.mozilla.org/
    3. As others have implied, it's an issue at your end that needs to be fixed, by changing your download server or something else.
    4. I'd hesitate to be negative about something when it's likely not to blame

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast