Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Debian wheezy is awesome :)

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Debian wheezy is awesome :)

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I really tried using debian but I always longed for the newer packages. I mean they are still on xfce 4.8. I ran crunchbang xfce for a while and needed a few newer packages and I went the whole apt-pinning route which just ended in disaster.

I'll stick to manjaro/arch for now.
    Try sid.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Try sid.
    I did try Aptosid once for a while but no, I'll pass thx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I've been using Debian Sid for about 2 years now and I love it. It's the perfect balance between stable and new -- not thoroughly tested -- software for me. It even has the extra fun of the eventual possibility of some things going wrong when upgrading the system, so you have to be careful when applying upgrades. But generally speaking Sid is stable enough (for me, at least) in spite of being the 'unstable' Debian branch. Also, things in Sid evolve fast and bugs are often fixed quickly.
    Last edited by odiseo77; May 26th, 2013 at 08:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I'll stick to manjaro/arch for now.
    I want super stable for now. I have to limit the time I have for playing and fixing, to use the time I have for the computer to learning bash. I do hope Manjaro and SolusOS gain traction during my time learning. So, its Xbuntu LTS and Debian Stable Xfde for me. Hell, I still have 10.04 hanging around, that I have to give the boot.

;p

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've come to think of testing and unstable as two components of what can be seen as a slow rolling release process. You can jump in because you enjoy that process, or because you want access to newer code. (Unstable, btw, isn't necessarily the newest.) Whether it's Arch or Sid, you're using code only a relatively few people have checked out.

Many folks seem to jump blindly to new code, thinking it be must better or have wonderful new features. They ought to verify that before they take the risk.

As to Wheezy: Very nice Gnome implementation. 3.4 avoids the messaging area annoyances that are in 3.6 and 3.8. MATE 1.6 is also nice on Wheezy.

Beans
    Hidden!

Older software as Debian 7 may be, it looks and installs very slick.

Beans

switched over from windows with 9.10 - it has been a very smooth ride with Ubuntu. Each and every update was painless and straigtforward... I did not even do clean install all the time and it was all fine.With 12.04 came the problems - my gut feeling is that it is an error between the graphic driver and the kernel. My once rock-solid Ubuntu distro crashed, hard-freezed within minutes of booting. Tried Nouveau and tried Nvidia - all the same. Went to Fedora and started following launchpad reports about the issue I was experiencing. To my astonishment, the bugs were closed / won't fix. 12.10 did not offer soluce and, eventually, neither did 13.04 - although it initially appeared a lot more stable.Tried installing Mint 15, Fedora, OpenSuse and now Wheezy over the last few days. The latter seems to be brilliant. All the other systems crashes within an hour - the screen all garbled, TTY sometimes worked, sometimes not. Sometimes it worked, but I was typing blind "sudo reboot". Debian now seems to be stable and it still has the packages I wanted to upgrade 11.10 (last stable Ubuntu on my system) for: GIMP 2.8, LibreOffice 4.0. I hope I finally found stability again. I was wondering if indeed Windows was the only way out of instability mess. I'll keep my fingers crossed over the coming days.

Beans

Wheezy/Stable and Jessie/Testing are good ways to transition from Ubuntu to Debian, but since I've been at the Linux game for a while now, and have run Ubuntu and Fedora on metal, and CentOS and OpenSUSE Factory in Vbox in the past, and am currently running Archbang on the metal, my current VMs are Debian Sid and Fedora 20 Alpha, I'd say I'm a bigger fan of Archbang and Debian Sid because rolling release and software recency, and because they don't really suffer from bitrot all that much, meanwhile one of my beefs with Ubuntu, as well as Wheezy and CentOS, and OpenSUSE Standard and LTS, is they tend to suffer from a lot of bitrot because they don't move all that much, and I prefer to have a distro that moves a lot, hence Arch/Archbang, Sid, Jessie, Factory, or Fedora.

Also, I'm generally a bigger fan of the rolling release model that Arch/Archbang, Debian Sid, and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed use, and never having to upgrade, than I am of the standard release model that Ubuntu, Jessie, Wheezy, OpenSUSE Standard, OpenSUSE LTS, OpenSUSE Factory, and Fedora use, and having to do frequent system upgrades, as I imagine having to upgrade every few months/years would get pretty annoying longterm.

Now if one was willing to risk their system, and deal with constant breaks, Fedora Rawhide is on a rolling release model, technically, however you gotta have some serious patience to deal with it because it does break like crazy, meanwhile my Debian Sid VM has been pretty stable so far, as well as my Archbang install on the metal.

Ran Fedora 19 for a while with the updates-testing and the rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing and rpmfusion-free-updates-testing repos for a while, in addition to the updates and rpmfusion-free-updates and rpmfusion-nonfree-updates repos, finally broke YUM one day, so I quit that during my time with Fedora on the metal, however I'm currently using the testing and community-testing repos in Archbang, no problems yet.

As for package managers, although I really, really like Fedora's YUM and OpenSUSE's ZYPper, I prefer Arch's Pacman or Debian's APT, and I use the Yaourt wrapper for Pacman, which allows easy AUR access, and the Aptitude front-end for APT, as IMO, it's better than apt-get. Hadn't really messed with Mageia yet.
    Last edited by TeamRocket1233c; October 4th, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
    Metal: HP dc5750 | OS: Arch Linux 32-bit | Kernel: 3.14.0-1-ARCH | 1.8GHz AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1.5GiB RAM | 80GiB HDD | DM/DE combo: LXDM + MATE.

Beans

Damn i only tried the xfce version and now you really make me want to try the gnome-shell version. But I'm using Ubuntu for the more up to date radeon drivers on my htpc.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123