Thread: Chrome => Chromium

Beans

Chrome => Chromium

Currently I installed Google Chrome in my Ubuntu 12.04 Pangolin
    What is the difference between Chrome and Chromium?

I heard that Ubuntu 13.10 will come with Chromium instead of Firefox ... is it true or false?
    How can I turn Chrome into Chromium?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Chrome => Chromium

Chrome is Google's browser with proprietary code. Chromium-Browser is an open source version of Google's browser. To add confusion, I think there is a game called Chromium.

I don't think you can turn Chrome into Chromium-Browser.

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Chromium browser is the open-source foundation that Google Chrome is built upon... They both work the same and can both use Google's PepperFlash plugin to give you the latest flash player...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

here is a nice list of differences and similarities between the two: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wi...VsGoogleChrome
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by czgirb View Post
    I heard that Ubuntu 13.10 will come with Chromium instead of Firefox ... is it true or false?
    Wouldn't surprise me in the least. I recall reading that Adobe was discontinuing their flash player support for Linux, which means watching flash videos in firefox would eventually become a problem.

Regardless, you could still use whatever browser you prefer (and remove the others, if you wish). Personally, I prefer Chrome or Chromium over FF. However, I have from time to time run into websites that don't function properly with them, so I keep FF around "just in case".

You can't turn Chrome into Chromium, but you could simply install Chromium. A good many of your settings (like bookmarks) are tied to your Google account, so those wouldn't have to be set up again. I currently have both installed on my 13.04 system.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Chrome has a built in pdf reader and pepperflash plug in (adobe flash with latest versions) by default....so it's a more complete version of chromium, actually...and it also adds a ppa updater automatically to your software sources, so you will get the latest version automatically in your ubuntu updates...