Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Ubuntu will be best for Sony Vaio E Series VPCEG28FN?

Beans

Cool Which Ubuntu will be best for Sony Vaio E Series VPCEG28FN?

Hi,

I am a new user to use ubuntu. I want to know which ubuntu version should I install on my system so that I will not get any problem.
    Below are my laptop configuration:

Laptop: Sony Vio: E Series VPCEG28FN
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    Harddisk: 500GB

Beans

Re: Which Ubuntu will be best for my laptop

Any of them would.

I would suggest looking at screen shots of the different desktop environments for you to chose which one you'd like to use the most.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Modern processor, plenty of RAM, just pick the flavour with the best look and feel in your opinion. It's best to take the 64 bit version, either version 12.04 LTS or 13.04.

Beans

I would be needed oracle 11i, Java 1.7, Net beans, C/c++,C# and more softwares. So, will I get all these softwares on any ubuntu version easily or not.
    If not then tell me which version of Ubuntu would I use so that I would not find any problem in installing all these softwares.

Moreover my system has graphics driver of NVIDIA GEFORCE 410M .
    So, also which ubunto will support this graphics driver also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'd start with the main version first....see if you like unity (it's very "mac-like" with it's unity dock on the left side of the screen which you can auto hide when not in use, a global menu on top and a search all similiar to a mac, really)...many of us here love it...and if not, then check out the variations, kubuntu, xubuntu, etc....you can run the discs in live session without installing to play around with them a bit...and see which suits you best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul04789 View Post
    Hi,

I am a new user to use ubuntu. I want to know which ubuntu version should I install on my system so that I will not get any problem.
    Unfortunately, unless someone has already installed a particular distro and version on this very same make and model laptop, they can NOT guaranteed that you "will not get any problem".

Why?

Because (1) specs are only part of the answer, and (2) laptop manufacturers are infamous for using special hardware which often requires special drivers -- which generally, are not available for Linux.

The only way to really determine which disto and version will work best is to create LiveCDs or LiveUSBs of the ones you want to use -- and try each one of them.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul04789 View Post
    I would be needed oracle 11i, Java 1.7, Net beans, C/c++,C# and more softwares. So, will I get all these softwares on any ubuntu version easily or not.
    If not then tell me which version of Ubuntu would I use so that I would not find any problem in installing all these softwares.
    all verison have same software in repositories (software center) and more can be installed form websites and from source. the difference is their desktop environemnt - GUI if you want -that user uses to interact with computer.
    Ubuntu uses Unity on Gnome
    Xubuntu uses XFCE
    Kubuntu uses KDE (windows look a like)
    Lubuntu uses LXDE (Windows XP look a like)

there are many more desktops and windows managers out there (e17, icewm, openbox etc.). there are quite cusotmizable (some more some less) so you can change the look&feel quite radically.

Moreover my system has graphics driver of NVIDIA GEFORCE 410M .
    So, also which ubunto will support this graphics driver also.
    Now that's iomportan piece of info you failed to mention in your first post. do you have nvidia optimus? if so you will need to install bumblebee and juts so you knwo nvidia optimu is not fully supported in linux. there is a workarround to use it though.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Hi all,
    Thanks for your useful comments.

Beans

Hi all,
    Now I have installed ubuntu 12.04.20, along with windows7 on my laptop. But after installing update for my NVIDIA, I am unable to restart my ubuntu O.S.
    After rebooting my system, and selecting ubuntu as my O.S, a startup ubuntu icon is shown but moving further a blank screen is shown with curser blinking on left top of the screen.

Please reply soon so that I can reuse my ubuntu O.S.

Beans

Rahul, I think previous posters gave you some useful information. In my opinion, just burn the .ISO on a CD or a USB key and see if all your hardware is recognized. According to your computer specs, you may or may not experience some issues with your graphics card and/or your wireless. If you're unsure, you can open the terminal and type :

lspci

This command will display all the hardware recognized by Ubuntu. From there, you will see if you need additional drivers or not.

I'm at your service if you need further help.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast