Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: running under hyper-v

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: running under hyper-v

I was asking how you had it configured in Hyper-V as CharlesA had mentioned above, is it a regular or legacy adapter, not how it's configured in Ubuntu

Beans

Its setup with the defaults, only thing I have done is create vast numbers of virtual machines

the hyper-v uses the a 1000BASE-T connection to the router an that NIC is the same on that is virtualized for use by Hyper-V

the VM however thinks I have 10GBASE-T but there is no problem with that virtual adapter either. This is what the virtual instance of Windows Sever sees.

I have many virtual machines running, only was looking at how Linux works with the latest from Redmond

My Linux stack continues to be LAMP+DNS+SAMBA

Beans
    Distro

I use Ubuntu 12.04 with LAMP stacks and numerous other setups on our Hyper-V 2012 boxes at work with no issues at all. I was trying to see if you where trying to do anything out of the ordinary.

Beans

The only thing is that the network adapter IP address is not seen

dynamic memory is working but increasing the startup memory was a big performance boost, more than expected

Beans
    Distro

Was this i new install or a migrated VM? I ask, because you shouldn't have been able to install without internet, and if it was a migration, it's likely that the hardware address of the interface changed, and you just need to remove the contents of /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to get it working. The lines that need to be removed look like this. Remove them, then reboot and see if that gets it working for you.
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:1b:21:12:fd:32", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

Beans

It is a clean install and there was no problem installing it

each new version of Ubuntu server is installed in a fresh VM

keep in mind I created a VHD first as the wizard only uses VHDX and for some reason linux does not work

Beans

I have noticed improvements from each update so I am hoping the kinks will be ironed out soon. The VM works well now, uptimes are excellent.

I can determine the IP address of the VM from the console easy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12