Thread: HP 255 Laptop Lists Ubuntu As OS Option !

Hybrid View

Beans

Red face HP 255 Laptop Lists Ubuntu As OS Option !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HP 255 Laptop Lists Ubuntu As OS Option !

Good! Hopefully they will succeed where Dell failed by actually featuring Ubuntu Logos on their product description right next to the Windows logos.
    And LOL.. FreeDos is also an option (trying to understand why.. but sure! why not).
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hahahha nice one, now ubuntu is recognized really well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's nice to see Ubuntu or Linux mentioned by manufacturers, but sadly it doesn't mean that much. For instance, go to a site like www.maplin.co.uk and search for usb sticks. You'll find in the details of some that they will work with Linux, whereas other sticks' details will have no mention of Linux. It's sad because just about every usb stick out there is Linux-compatible, but most manufacturers neither know nor care. "Apple" and "PC" (meaning "Windows") is all that matters to them. It's all about money, and since Linux is just a teeny slice of the pie it just doesn't matter.

If you want to do something about it, do as I do. I go on a site like www.maplin.co.uk, look for something like a usb stick that I know is Linux-compatible but isn't labelled as such, and in the "Any questions" section I ask: "Is it compatible with Linux?" If enough of us did that, maybe companies will realise there is a Linux market out there despite what the money men say (cos that's all the money men know about -$$$ - and Linux is free as well as Free). Guerilla marketing.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

Good news! But the HP255 appears not to be available in the USA.
    Last edited by rewyllys; May 25th, 2013 at 02:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I doubt that it will be available in Australia, either. Ubuntu machines are virtually non-existent off the shelf here and always have been, regardless of brand.

bout time some computer company noticed the OS.