Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 freezes from CD Installation Boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 freezes from CD Installation Boot

Quote Originally Posted by AfrikaDietmar View Post
    It's kind of dissapointing that nearly on all my new PCs there is so much trouble getting 13.04 to work. I will try your suggested solution. A lot is just hardware related. Is there a list where you can check with which hardware components ubuntu works best ? For example MSI Mainboards instead of ASUS and which graphic cards it prefers. I would then buy hardware in this way...
    You can check this out: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/ (It is not a comprehensive list but can offer help).
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I just tried the Ubuntu 14.04 Minimal CD, i did get a little further this time on the same PC but at the point "Detecting disks and other hardware" there it just hangs/freezes and stops.
    Any ideas what I can do? At least with the minimal CD i get a few more options running than with the normal installation CD.

Since Ubuntu 10.10 is working fine and was able to install is there no way to get 14.04 working!?

Same PC Configuration as beginning of this thread:
    PC Specs: CORE I5-3470 3.2/3.6 GHz Turbo, 6MB Cache, ASUS P8H61-PRO (Intel H61 Chipset), DVD LGA1155, RAM Dual Channel 2 x 4 GB DDR3 1333, 500 GB Hard Drive SATA
    Power: Cooler Master 625W Extreme2
    Graphic Card: ASUS GT620 (Connected 2x 24" LED LCD Viewsonics, one on HDMI one on the blue connector)

Seems like I'm not the only one with this issue >
    http://superuser.com/questions/32492...my-asus-destop
    Last edited by AfrikaDietmar; April 22nd, 2014 at 01:18 PM.

Beans

This probably isn't going to help but the safest thing is to buy a machine with Ubuntu pre-installed. I did this with a Dell XPS 13.3. Expensive but a very nice computer and it is guaranteed to work. I also feel that since DELL has made the effort to support Ubuntu I should make the effort to support them. I have recently installed 14.04 on an Asus VivoBook S200E-CT216H 11.6-inch LED Notebook (Intel Core i3-2365M 1.40GHz Processor,4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, Touchscreen, HD 3000, USB 3.0, HDMI, HD Web Camera, Windows 8). This appears to work directly, touch screen and everything out of the box. Just over £300 for a refurbished one in new condition on Amazon. Not as nice as the XPS but about a third of the cost!

Usually I try some searches with the machine name and Ubuntu to see if it pulls up any known problems or better a "definitely works" or "works but you need to tweak the sound" or something. The real pains are the ones that blank the screen because then you can't easily fix anything . What we probably need is a better selection of low to hi-spec machines we know definitely work. Being able to buy any laptop without Windows on it would also be better. Why can't we just choose and install our favourite OS from the internet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

That will be one of the steps to consider when acquiring new devices but usually I just put the parts together myself.

Ubuntu 10.10 is working on my system. The newer ones aren't. I cannot explain why!? Shouldn't the newer OS versions be able to cope

Beans

I've the same problem here, also an Asus Board. Ubuntu boots to the screen with the dots and then freezes. I also tried nomodeset, xforcevega etc. but it didn't help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Hi jan22,

welcome to the club of that Asus Mainboard with the unfortunate position of not being able to run those latest awesome Ubuntu versions. I think we are doomed! Am thinking of turning that PC into a simple Windows Game Machine :/ Right now the only OS I have on it running is Ubuntu 10.04. BUT unfortunately more and more progams are not supported. Yesterday I killed Chrome and can't install the newest ones anymore ...so bad for the sync.
    Read in here on my other thread where we chat a bit about this from a stand point of what could it be... -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2222545
    Maybe we can get to ask Ubuntu to include the drivers required in their next update!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12