Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first less than good thing.....

Beans

Re: first less than good thing.....

well, this is my first time through, and as I have to go to work soon, I kind of like this Ubuntu. I am running it now. I am going to have to find out about things like Flash player and so on before it is real I guess. I'm going to have to find the auto hide for the panel on the left too. It seems to run real good off the DVD. But I will do a full install alongside windows. I like the new look.

Beans

If you are used to windows you may find that the Xfce desktop enviroment is more similar, it is also very light on system resourses. I switch around quite a bit and usually call the first insall a learning experiance where I sus things out for a more serious install later when I know more about what I'm doing.
    A rather nice feature of Ubuntu is that one can install several desktop enviroments and choose which to use at bootup. The downside of this is that one can end up with several duplicated entries in the menues. If you count the first install as just an exploration that isn't such a problem. If you are doing things that way take a look at what is available and spend and spend some time with each one. Not only are there many UI's most of them are also very configurable so what you see ain't nessesarily what you get. Unity, Gnome 3, KDE, Xfce, lxde, Mate, Cinamon, razer-qt, and many more are available and utterly change the feel of using the system. Searching through youtube videos can give you a quick preview of the choices available.
    I'd always recomend installing via software managers inside the system but for pulling iso's torrents are best. Sometimes however they may not be so well seeded in which case you may prefer to download direct ( be nice if you could help the seeding out when you've got the thing btw ). If you do download direct the add-on for firefox called "downthemall" is very handy as it also has a drop downbox for checksums like md5, sha1 and 3 etc. If the file is corrupt it will warn you before you try to yank it in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Just install ubuntu restricted extras from the ubuntu software center if you haven't already done so...it will give you all the codecs and flash as well...
    I'm assuming you didn't check the box for it to install codecs during the install...then that is the way to do it...if you just need adobe flash, you will find it in the software center as well...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jimpierce7 View Post
    well, this is my first time through, and as I have to go to work soon, I kind of like this Ubuntu. I am running it now. I am going to have to find out about things like Flash player and so on before it is real I guess. I'm going to have to find the auto hide for the panel on the left too. It seems to run real good off the DVD. But I will do a full install alongside windows. I like the new look.
    Adobe Flash Player is Adobe's proprietory, so Ubuntu does not ship it with is .iso by default, and for that matter even mp3 etc. To use these and such you have to install "ubuntu-restricted-extras". As for the Launcher to 'autohide', you can enable it easily from System Settings -> appearence -> behaviour.

For Linux newbs, it is recommended that they dual-boot Widows and Ubuntu until such time that you stop booting Windows.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For someone who came from Windows, ubuntu (and its variants) is the Linux distribution that is closest to what you are used to. A lot of programs you are used with Windows have equivalents in Linux. That said, there are windows-only programs that will not play nice with Linux.

Installing Ubuntu should be rather quick, but you might want to ask enough here to make sure you are not missing any point.

I myself do not dual-boot. Instead I run Windows under emulation. Great when you need to deal with mysterious files and want to be able to go back to just before you got and ran file.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

ubuntu-restricted-extras is a bundle of popular software that is not included in the .iso because of legal reasons. It contains dvd codecs, some microsoft fonts, flash player. If you prefer buffet over à la carte you can also install them separately. For example, I skipped the microsoft fonts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12