Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first less than good thing.....

Beans

first less than good thing.....

As I live in the silicon valley, Mountain View Ca., I don't have to throw a rock very far to find seriously computer literate people. At the fellowship I go to on Sundays I asked and a friend used to write for unix (retired now) and raved about how wonderful Ubuntu is but recommended against it as it is a pain in the ass to get up and running.
    As, not in those words, I have already been told that here I still want to check it. Forgive all the threads please but this is how my mind picks it all up.
    As it was going to take 8 hours to download Ubuntu I decided to wait until I go to bed to do that.
    How well does/easy is it to run Ubuntu next to MS. I understand they don't run at the same time, I choose which at start up?
    Like it does now for Kubuntu? As I would have to start downloading apps right away to even get a decent look at it, wouldn't that be the thing to do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: first less than good thing.....

Windows and Ubuntu dual-boot just fine. However there are some "known issues" when dual-booting with 'PRE INSTALLED' Windows 8. The reason for these issues is that the OEM manufacturers who pre-install Windows 8 on their equipment use some features (probably at the strong 'recommendations' by Microsoft) that are not only controversial but bit complicated for new Linux users to understand. This forum can help you install Ubuntu. There are lots of Threads here which you can search with terms, 'Dual boot windows8', 'UEFI', 'Secure Boot', 'GPT' to begin with. Most of the people to ask help here regarding the issue do so AFTER they have messed up. You can avoid this if you start on the right track from the beginning and learn what to do and what not to.

From your side give us complete details of your machine which is going to dual boot. Choose your Ubuntu flavor (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, they are all same under the hood only difference is the desktop interface/looks/appeal) and version 12.04 LTS (Long Term Support, supported until 2017) or 13.04 (9 months support). You will find the instructions on how to download, burn to disk and general installation here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

But first thing you should read is LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You live in silicon valley,yet your internet connection is that slow?
    I would assume if you waited a minute or two, the download time would drop significantly.
    My own experience with it is the first reading is usually high, 4 or 5 hours, but within 30 seconds or a minute that drops to the typical hour it takes me to download the image.
    And I have a slow connection.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

my download speed is 25m. It is the upload speed from the server I'm sure. But it is getting dowloaded to the burner directly too. The read high is what X and K both did. But they came in much faster.
    I also just changer to 12.04 and the down load spees increased a bunch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well sounds good.

For you here are a couple of places to read up on and from.

Ubuntu Desktop Help 12.04

NewDocs

Community Help
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jimpierce7 View Post
    But it is getting dowloaded to the burner directly too.
    it's better to use torrent for these downloads (if yOu can). the way you are doing it just calls for troubles imo. well unelss the md5sum get's checked after download.

1. torrent is often faster.
    2. torrent will check the file integrity while downloading it. so you can be sure the final downloaded image is good.

also Kubuntu or Xubuntu are both Ubuntu with dfferent desktops.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For most people, Ubuntu is very easy to install and set up. Don't expect it to be just like Windows, though - Linux, and specifically Ubuntu, are very different!

To answer the question everyone else missed, software for Ubuntu is downloaded using Ubuntu Software Center, not from your web browser, so don't worry about downloading additional software until you are running Ubuntu.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!

Your timings all seem strange to me!

I can download the ubuntu 12.04 .iso file in about 15-20 minutes, burn it in around another 20 minutes, (as slow as the drive allows for reduced likelihood of errors), and then install in about 15 minutes.

It's certainly worth using a torrent client to download as that will guarantee the .iso file is not corrupt.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

download issue was due to it downloading direct to Roxxio, my DVD burner. I downloaded it properly to a folder this morning in 20 minutes.

I am not expecting Ubuntu to be anything like Windows. Anymore than I expect my Sonata to be anything like my old Grand Am. Guess it's time to punch in the DVD and see what happens

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Even out here in the middle of nowhere Idaho I can download a full ISO of Ubuntu in under 1 hour. (4.6 MB down / 0.5 MB up)

As for Ubuntu usage. I've been teaching friends how to install Ubuntu to laptops and home PC's and so far most like the Ubuntu over Windows 7 or Windows 8 by far. So usually the owner of the PC usually will ditch the Microsoft all together and do solely a Ubuntu install and not mess with the virus problems of Windows any longer.
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man
    Running 4 computers all with Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast