Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LXDE, pcmanfm crashing after update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

LXDE, pcmanfm crashing after update

I got the latest updates to both LXDE and pcmanfm, as well as a whole bunch of security updates and a couple kernel updates for Lubuntu 12.10. Now, odd things are happening.

When I highlight a file in pcmanfm and hit the "alternate menu" button (the one on the right side of the space bar between the Windows and Ctl keys), the menu that appears lists the options as if nothing is highlighted. I frequently use the keyboard to bring up right-click options, so this is very inconvenient. A right-click itself seems to work normally.

Also, no file on the desktop can be accessed from the desktop. If I right-click the desktop or any files on it, both pcmanfm and LDXE crash. If I try to open a file on the desktop by either double-clicking it or highlighting it and pressing Enter, both pcmanfm and LXDE crash. I can move files from the desktop to another folder and access them, but accessing anything on the desktop will cause a crash.

Finally (so far), the "Shutdown" panel icon and the "Logout" menu item have both stopped working. Clicking them does nothing anymore, where they used to bring up a menu giving me the option to log out, shutdown, restart, etc.. Now to shutdown, I have to bring up a terminal and run a shutdown​ command directly.

Has anyone else had these issues since the latest updates, and if so, how did you fix them?
    T

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: LXDE, pcmanfm crashing after update

First thing I always blame is the kernel Try backing up to previous kernel.

Beans
    Distro

I suspect that it's the kernel update, too. A couple questions first, though.

How did a kernel update with such a visible and regressive flaw make it into the release cycle?

The Lubuntu update manager says that I can upgrade to Lubuntu 13.04. Should I consider this instead of restoring a previous kernel?

What do you make of this (I found it rather interesting)? This is the exec command run by the "shutdown" panel application and the "logout" menu item.
    Code:
    user@localhost:~$ lubuntu-logout
    /usr/bin/lubuntu-logout: 2: /usr/bin/lubuntu-logout: lxsession-logout: not found
    The logout command is just... gone​?
    T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

FWIW, I'm running Lubuntu 13.04 and just looked - no lxsession-logout, and:
    Code:
    ~$ cat /usr/bin/lubuntu-logout 
    #!/bin/sh
    lxsession-logout --banner "/usr/share/lubuntu/images/logout-banner.png" --side=top

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoctor View Post
    FWIW, I'm running Lubuntu 13.04 and just looked - no lxsession-logout, and:
    Code:
    ~$ cat /usr/bin/lubuntu-logout 
    #!/bin/sh
    lxsession-logout --banner "/usr/share/lubuntu/images/logout-banner.png" --side=top
    See the same contents as you do. Lubuntu 13.04. Fully updated. No problems with logging out.

Although PCManFM didn't crash on me, I saw the same problem as OP regarding the "alternate menu" behaving a bit oddly. In addition, there's a known issue with drag and drop: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...m/+bug/1179167 with a small YouTube video to illustrate it: http://youtu.be/ix6P6ZwQR-k

Long story cut short, I've replaced PCManFM both as file manager and for handling the desktop with Thunar and xfdesktop.

Beans
    Distro

I'm thinking a recent kernel upgrade FUBAR'd my install. I've noticed several other things that no longer work while they still should (and claim to). I'll probably reformat and do a clean install of 13.04 tonight.

vasa1, do you need to use both Thunar and xfdesktop to replace pcmanfm? I kind of liked the pcmanfm that came installed with Lubuntu through 12.04. It was only after upgrading to 12.10 that I started to have issues.
    T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As a work-around, I tried copying lxsession-logout from my Fedora 19 install to /usr/local/bin. Seems to work
    Rock Doctor
    Registered Linux user #360200

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by temporos View Post
    vasa1, do you need to use both Thunar and xfdesktop to replace pcmanfm? ....
    In case you are still interested, please look at:
    LXDE/XFCE Hybrid and a bit more here:
    Why is pcmanfm is still running after following the LXDE/XFCE Hybrid instructions?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoctor View Post
    As a work-around, I tried copying lxsession-logout from my Fedora 19 install to /usr/local/bin. Seems to work
    Hi, what is your problem with logging out? What is not working? Do you have problems with logging out via the GUI or logging out via the terminal?

I have no difficulty with logging out or shutting down via the GUI. I haven't tried the terminal approach.

Beans

For alternate menu key issue, we've notified it in Launchpad and PCManFM Sourceforge bug tracker.

You can subscribe it and notify a "also affects me" in Launchpad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast