Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wirless works, wired does not

Beans

Re: Wirless works, wired does not

Quote Originally Posted by Hadaka View Post
    Edit : last you posted settings you had the ssid = EthernetTest
    so set the router ssid to that as well..
    Yep, found that out, and corrected, but still can't connect...it is trying though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hadaka View Post
    indeed !..so now..you need to match the settings in the router to
    the settings of networkmgr, you might also consider hooking up the
    old dlink router as the newer one is N speed
    Actually, the D-Link is N-Draft too, but I'll mess with it too.

Beans
    Hidden!

I trust you are still able to use the wireless side.
    also..i noticed the wireless "connnection name is Saluki
    just set the connection name to the wired side to that as
    well...as the names should match anyway...as far as the
    N part, i had wireless on the brain..so ignore that.
    so set the connection name the same for both wired and wireless
    you might also try disableing wireless again and doing the power
    cycle routine as all the messing about...things may be a bit confused
    and the power cycle gives them a chance to reset to whatever changes
    you have made...your close.
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I thought you guys will be having party and I came here to take my share of candies. But I see we still have no candies to share

I am thinking about disabling Network Manager and trying the old-school method (trying dhcp first). But for now, keep going with the leads. Meanwhile -
    Quote Originally Posted by GUZZLR View Post
    Now, it tries and tries to connect, does not connect, turns the switch to off, and then turns the wired switch back to on, and continues to try and connect...
    ..while it is doing so, take a look at -
    Code:
    dmesg | tail -40
    cat /var/log/syslog | tail -40
    Any messages regarding ethernet (eth0), DHCP, tg3, net, NetworkManager, etc. ? If anything looks suspicious or relevant, post back here. In fact keep these two commands handy. Everytime there is a state change, they *should* contain relevant log messages.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

Code:
    sudo grep -iRl ethernet /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ | while read line; do echo -e "\n\n$line" && sudo cat "$line"; done
    So everytime I mess with the wired name, I must reinsert this code, or I get absoulutely nothing. I'm wondering if there is a purge command I should be entering first, to clean stuff up? Also, I noticed the word ethernet is lower case, but my ID name is uppercase: Ethernet. Will that mess things up?
    Also, when I run this line of code, do I need to be connected to the internet?

Thanks
    Last edited by GUZZLR; May 27th, 2013 at 02:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, that line of code has noting to dowith makeing an attempt to connect,
    it is simply saying "give me information about the ethernet card in relation
    to network mgr. settings". the reason "ethernet" is in lower case...is because
    that is its proper name. You chose to call it Ethernet as a connection name.
    sooo..question is..does it still connect wireless?...if yes...simply set the ethernet
    end...wired..with the same settings as the wireless. this way it uses, as it should
    the same "connection name"..same security settings. its suppose to do that.
    connection name wireless= saluki router ssid=saluki wired=saluki
    wireless security=none router security=none wired security=none <- or whatever value you currently can connect on using wireless.
    once you have all the settings the same..and have SAVED those setttings...power cycle once again the router and the computer.

any questions..post back.
    Last edited by Hadaka; May 27th, 2013 at 03:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

NOTE : No - help post! Only for educational purpose, nothing to do with troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by GUZZLR View Post
    Code:
    sudo grep -iRl ethernet /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ | while read line; do echo -e "\n\n$line" && sudo cat "$line"; done
    ....Also, I noticed the word ethernet is lower case, but my ID name is uppercase: Ethernet. Will that mess things up?.....
    I love explaining things, where I can

grep = g/re/p = Global Regular-Expression Print : It searches for a given pattern (or regular expression), and prints it as per given instructions.

Anything after a command that is prefixed (without spaces) with a hyphen, is a parameter or option to it. Here, -iRl means -
    -i = Ignore the case (so "ethernet" will be treated the same as "Ethernet")
    -R = Do a recursive search. Tells grep to search 'all' files within the given location, including its subdirectories.
    -l = Tells grep to print 'only' the name of the file(s) in which the given pattern is found, instead of the lines themselves in which the match is found (which is its normal behaviour)

ethernet = the pattern that we want to search. Without the '-i' option, grep would not include "Ethernet", but with '-i' (ignore case), it would not care for the cases and will cover it too.

So, grep -iRl ethernet /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ means - look for the pattern "ethernet" (ignoring the case) in all the files located within /etc/NetworkManager/system-conncetions/ directory (including subdirectories if there are any), and report back 'only' their names. The result is a list of file names that have this word - "ethernet" (or Ethernet or any variation of letter-cases) in their contents. Each line in this list will contain exactly one file name. Next part, the 'pipe symbol (|) -

| (the pipe symbol) = It converts the output of the command on its left hand side into the 'input' for the command on its right hand side. So here the list of filenames becomes the input for the following 'script' (the combination of commands to get a particular result).

while read line; do....; done = tells the command interpreter (the terminal in our case) to 'read' an input, and store it in a variable that we prefer to call - 'line'. Then it will 'do' something until 'done' is met. Goes back to doing the same thing again 'while' there is an input to read (each line in the input list is counted as one input. It will repeat the 'do' things as many times as there are lines in the input list).

echo -e "\n\n$line" = echoes (prints) the value of variable 'line' that we just read above ($ sing means the word is a variable, and its value has to be considered instead of the word itself). The parameter '-e' just enables interpretation of regular expressions, which is the term '\n' (new line) here. So now it also prints two empty new lines (\n\n) before printing the variable $line. It did it to create gap between printed file contents, to make it easy to read .

&& = 'And also do'. By adding this, we can just tell the terminal to also do the command following it. We could do it separately, it's just how I preferred

sudo cat "$line" = 'cat' concatenates (or just reads and prints, if there is just a single file to read) the contents of the input files. '$line' is a variable- 'line' - which, during execution, will be replaced by the input that has been read and stored in it (which was a file-name returned by 'grep'). So if, for example, the list of filenames contained the file-name "Auto Ethernet" which has just been read and stored in this variable, then 'cat "$line"' will be read as 'cat "Auto Ethernet" by the terminal. The prefix 'sudo' is there to run the command with root privileges (normal user does not have permission to read those files). So 'sudo cat <some file>' will just print the whole content of the file - <some file>.

Of course you could simply navigate to the directory > open the files with root privileges, and post their contents here. It is just a quicker way to do that, and it is easier to post a line of command than to post a whole bunch of sentences explaining what you have to do. Plus, the command way makes sure nothing is missed that is covered by the given criteria.

Obviously, a no-help post, but it is always a good idea to understand what a piece of code is going to do with your computer before running it.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

Geeze...

Beans
    Hidden!

ok.....lets take a look where we are...does the wireless
    still connect and work on the dell??

Beans

I'm going backwards now...wireless still works, but when I run this code, It is showing no entry/directory exist. I delete and create new ones, then powerdown everything, but still not showing any directory exist...Can I throw it out the window now?

Code:

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast