Thread: Help me scrub unity dash and swap a swift virtual manager/desktop in.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Help me scrub unity dash and swap a swift virtual manager/desktop in.

Well, I've read the advice, tried the options Crunchbang, Bohdi, Synaptic package manager stillblows me off) and performed a "clean" live dvd install of Precise Pangolin 12.04.
    I believe I am much closer to a system that my one and only Dell Optiplex GX240 w/GeForce2 Nvidia, 1 G.B. sdram and 82.3 G.B. sda and 250 G.B. sdb can thrive on (with less crashes hopefully).
    Gnome Classic (with and without effects) lives in my sign in list, but so does Unity and Unity 2D. How can I get rid of unity in plain sight as wll as in the log in menu? I am afraid to try sudo apt-get -y -f purge unity* because I just now it will render me a shell of my former self. I have installed Gnome shell, sop picking a display manager as well as a desktop "name" seems to be all that is lacking. I got Muon for my much enjoyed "K" software.And this install gave me my 250 GB HDD back, "Root" had taken it. Thank you again and please consider advising me once more regarding clearing the splash menu and choosing my main GUI's.
    I am feeling well, 5/30/13 the Team meets and plans my Sushi carving style and chef (Cancer #2 at 49) Wish me happiness! That's my main RX! Megenk.
    Last edited by megenk11; May 20th, 2013 at 02:26 AM. Reason: punctuation

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Help me scrub unity dash and swap a swift virtual manager/desktop in.

i purged compiz, and compizconffig-settings-manager. I purged unity 2D (as well as Ubuntu 2D) desktops and workspaces.

My login menu lists xfce session, xubuntu desktop, gnome classic, gnome classic (no effects),gnome session and STILL a Ubuntu 2D which is YUP! running unity (smoother than I have ever seen it run!)
    But the whole thing crashes about every 4.5 minutes, particularly if I open google chrome.
    My next step will be to remove muon software package manager, updater and installer. Please let that help! I just found out about the read-me files in each Deb package at /usr/share/doc/pkg-name and that has got to help somehow. If any ideas reside out there, I really need to get this back to a stable system. Thank you for your time.Megen