Thread: Batch Renaming Of Album Tracks (BASH)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Batch Renaming Of Album Tracks (BASH)

Hi,

I have a large collection of CD albums I'd like to transfer to my laptop. I've written a bash script which takes the Artist and Album names as user input and creates the relevant parent and child directory. It then rips the tracks into the directory and encodes the raw files to FLAC. I'm pleased with the script thus far, but I'd like it to make my life even easier and name the individual track files accordingly. I'm a bit stuck on how to go about this though.

Can I create a CSV file containing the track titles and use a for loop to assign the various lines to the files? That way for any given album I'd only have to create a simple text file with the song titles. If so what kind of syntax would I be looking at?

Any help or advice would be greatly received.

Cosmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Batch Renaming Of Album Tracks (BASH)

To rip my CDs I just use abcde, it's a command line encoder which can do everything you are asking. You'll need to install it from the repositories first...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install abcde
    You can run it with options directly from the command line but it's much easier to put all of your settings in a configuration file. I use the file from here (just with a few path and filename alterations). Just save it as ~/.abcde.conf and edit it if you need to.

Once you've done this just load a CD and run...
    Code:
    abcde
    and the program will look up all of the track information online (prompting you for any alterations), then rip the CD into flac and put it in the correct folder, as well as correctly tagging and renaming the files.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Batch Renaming Of Album Tracks (BASH)

Hey,

That's absolutely 100% what I was looking to do!

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

Cosmic