Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
Last BootInfo showed grub2's boot loader in every MBR. Are you just looking at boot flags?

Syslinux and lilo are boot loaders that work just like Windows in MBR. But to boot Windows you only install the MBR part and not any of the rest of the boot loader for Lilo or syslinux.
The Windows code in the MBR just looks at partition table and finds primary partition with boot flag and jumps to the PBR or partition boot sector to find more boot code. And what is in PBR is then booted.
Actually lilo works a bit better than Windows as you can boot XP in a logical partition. Lilo boots from logical partitions but part of the Windows boot loader only checks primary partitions and will not let you boot from logicals.

Multibooters, Pictures here worth 1000+ words
http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html
I'm more confused than ever. I have never understood the 'boot flags' concept and where a boot flag should be installed (W7, Ubuntu 13.04 or 12.10). In fact, I never tried to figure it out after screwing up many an installation of Ubuntu.

What I am trying to figure out is how to remove the message I receive when logging into 13.04 (that message does not appear with only one distro on sdb - 12.10 was installed on the second hard drive at first, booted quickly without issues). I think Grub is installed in sda - I think (is that correct, that's what Boot Manager tells me....). I would prefer not to blow up W7, Ubuntu 12.10 & Ubuntu 13.04 if I don't understand what is going on.