Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me chose a distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Help me chose a distro

It certainly sounds like a driver problem, with those specs on your computer Ubuntu 13.04 with unity should run great...hopefully, someone will come along here and help you with that

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    @ mskitty - I suggest you either PM me or you can post in RC here http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123 - and I will disable your other account.
    Sent you a PM requesting deletion of my other account

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    what kind of games? there is a distro that fits on 2 DVD that has preinstalled games on it.
    Doesn't really matter to me, as long as it's fun and simple, like a puzzle or card game. I'm bored with Windows...and since Windows 8 will most likely be the downfall of Microsoft, I am trying to become more independent from their products.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
    Doesn't really matter to me, as long as it's fun and simple, like a puzzle or card game. I'm bored with Windows...and since Windows 8 will most likely be the downfall of Microsoft, I am trying to become more independent from their products.
    Lol : P
    Welcome aboard

Browse Ubuntu Software Center there are a lot of puzzle/brain-teaser games.
    Battle for Wesnoth is a stategy game, I find it interesting : )

Beans

I don't know which version of ubuntu you have tried but I would suggest 12.04. It's LTS and probably the most stable right now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sloan31 View Post
    I don't know which version of ubuntu you have tried but I would suggest 12.04. It's LTS and probably the most stable right now.
    I tried 12.10 Quantal Quetzal and couldn't install any programs, my computer constantly lagged, and spent countless hours finding and reinstalling drivers. I'm currently looking to move to a new distro. Preferably with a lot of pre-installed software, and a nice-looking environment. Similar to this: http://i.imgur.com/ozZe9vr.jpg

http://www.fuduntu.org/blog/2013/04/...013-2-release/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
    I have only tired Ubuntu, it was too buggy for me, crashed and froze constantly and sometimes I got a non-responsive screen after trying to login. But, overall it looked really nice! However, I prefer to have stable, thoroughly tested software.
    Your hardware specs are similar, if not superior, to my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS box that runs with no significant problems.

As others have mentioned 'screen freezes', etc does make me think of a NVIDEA driver issue.
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =

Beans

Honestly the only lag I get in my Ubuntu was because I used it in VirtualBox; and even in a VM you can make it faster. Probs with Ubuntu as a dual boot: it's hard to get a good driver for the wireless connection. If you have a Virtual Machine manager or a wired Internet connection, try reinstalling Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, installing Linux Mint (linuxmint.com), or, if speed and bugs are your problems, trying the Peppermint OS (peppermintos.com). I'm a rookie, but I know that these distros are good.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yeswetran View Post
    Honestly the only lag I get in my Ubuntu was because I used it in VirtualBox; and even in a VM you can make it faster. Probs with Ubuntu as a dual boot: it's hard to get a good driver for the wireless connection. If you have a Virtual Machine manager or a wired Internet connection, try reinstalling Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, installing Linux Mint (linuxmint.com), or, if speed and bugs are your problems, trying the Peppermint OS (peppermintos.com). I'm a rookie, but I know that these distros are good.
    What about Fuduntu? It's a mix of Fedora/Ubuntu, but is fedora based. It has a windows feel and comes preloaded with many apps. The latest release includes bug fixes and many new features.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I don't get it...why would just going to a another distro solve her problem...if it is driver related, maybe some one can give her some assistance with that...
    @mskitty: did you run Fuduntu live session and did it work fine?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast