Thread: "My Computer"

Beans

"My Computer"

One thing I haven't figured out about Ubuntu is the "My Computer" area which is found on Windows...and I realize this is not Windows, it's Linux. So, that's my question, where is the area in Linux where the user can see the space, and whats on the hard drive, and other properties?
    Thanks
    Ubuntu 12.10

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: "My Computer"

Your there In my computer just right click on your drive.

If you want some more, open a terminal and enter:

Code:
    df -h

Beans

When I go to computer, I'm given the following choices, what are the Root A's, and I can see the pie chart when I right click on the 320 GB Hard Disk: 26 GB Volume, so I like this, but why when I click on permisions, on every one, Ubuntu tells me the permissions can not be determined? The "File System" is another mystery...what folder are the programs stored in?
    Thanks for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

my computer is widnows explorer which is a file manager. nautilus is default ubuntu file manager.

what do you actually need? there are GUI for disk and system data as well as command line tools.

if you are looking for windows like GUI interface try Kubuntu. and if you try i,t also try classic K menu (right click K and select classic).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by GUZZLR View Post
    When I go to computer, I'm given the following choices, what are the Root A's, and I can see the pie chart when I right click on the 320 GB Hard Disk: 26 GB Volume, so I like this, but why when I click on permisions, on every one, Ubuntu tells me the permissions can not be determined? The "File System" is another mystery...what folder are the programs stored in?
    Thanks for the help
    how did you install Ubuntu? via wubi?

if those are NTFS file system drives then you can't set permissions on them.

root drives are owned by root i believe. you can change their ownership to user.

programmes are stored all over the place. all is organized though. but mostly in bin i believe:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Li...emTreeOverview
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

That's because drives don't have permissions, the files and directories within them do. (And in case of FAT and NTFS filesystems, they don't even support UNIX permissions so they are set for the whole filesystems at the time it's mounted, and can't be changed individually)