Thread: can only boot from recovery mode (graphics issue)

Beans

can only boot from recovery mode (graphics issue)

hi im new and decently experienced with linux and ubuntu
    ubuntu 12.04 alternative install
    i can only boot when using resume on the recovery menu
    ive seen some1 with a similar issue on this forum however i dont have a link to the specific thread
    ik its an issue with the graphics driver i just installed: the latest fglrx from the ati website
    ive seen a few things that i thought would help like using nomodeset or w/e when booting but it did nothing
    o ya and that thread that i saw on this forum talked about going into software sources and checking the radio box "using fglrx proprietary driver" or something but i dont seem to have that option because of my version of ubuntu (12.04 instead of 13.04)

Beans

Re: can only boot from recovery mode (graphics issue)

Search for "Additional Drivers" in Dash Home and open it, maybe you see the drivers needed there.

Beans

o ya that radio might be called something else actually and i might already hav it checked (i hav a radio checked allowing me to download proprietary drivers) can any1 confirm/deny this? or giv a solution to my original problem?

@ehsanoo thanks for the reponse although it already says im using the driver id like to use in additional drivers and id like not to change

Beans

fixed! ik there was something simple i was missing! (i believe this fix is only nessisary for those who have my problem and like me used full disk encryption)
    1. if u want to get into the system with normal boot one time then just select the normal (non-recovery) boot in grub then press e and remove the line "gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode"
    2. from there use the terminal command sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/10_linux
    3. search for the line "gfxmode \$linux_gfx_mode" and replace with "gfxmode \auto"
    4. save
    5. run sudo update-grub
    Last edited by profPlum530; May 19th, 2013 at 06:09 PM.