Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best programming language to learn next?

Beans

Re: Best programming language to learn next?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    OCaml has threading, concurrency and distributed programming libraries, but they're a more recent addition and not part of the standard library.

That being said, Scala looks very nice, it has plenty of functional features, as well as OO features.

Another language I was looking at today is Rust, which seems like the bastard offspring of C, C++, OCaml, Erlang and Ruby, but in a nice way. Mozilla has already made Javascript the default language for our browsers, I wonder if they can pull of the same with Rust?
    I am legitimately excited about rust. It looks to be fast and it looks to be really flexible for a systems programming language.

I didn't realize that ocaml had concurrency libraries, very glad to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Leuchten View Post
    As programmers, we are waist deep in abstraction daily. I have no idea how qt is implemented, or swing, or plenty of other toolkits, but that doesn't stop me from writing UIs. I have no idea how many registers the amd64 architecture has, or what they are used for, but I can do arbitrary precision arithmetic. How is the level of abstraction between a recursive method and a while loop automatically a stumbling block for a beginner when the abstraction between println("hello world") and the machine is so much greater, and yet they manage?
    Not technological abstraction. You can implement recursive and iterative solutions in assembly language and the mental problem-solving model is still different. But I think this thread passed the point of zero productivity several posts back so I won't continue.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    Not technological abstraction. You can implement recursive and iterative solutions in assembly language and the mental problem-solving model is still different. But I think this thread passed the point of zero productivity several posts back so I won't continue.
    My thoughts also .

let the purist's who think "This is the way it must be Done" , get on with it , or better still move their post's

Do not A Seven year old will Understand what they are talking about anyway.

Att the end of the day , these are the very comments and values which stall learning and inovation of the Inquisitve Mind.

BR

Alex
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You guys do know that i didn't want you to argue over which is the better language, but what i should learn next.

thank you for all your help, but maybe a admin can make a sticky thread for this stuff

All sufficiently long-lived threads eventually deteriorate into one of the same few recurring discussions. The subjective nature of the topic made it pretty much inevitable.

Did you still have unanswered questions?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    All sufficiently long-lived threads eventually deteriorate into one of the same few recurring discussions. The subjective nature of the topic made it pretty much inevitable.
    The Godwin point is reached when someone mentions punch cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by joco1500 View Post
    You guys do know that i didn't want you to argue over which is the better language, but what i should learn next.

thank you for all your help, but maybe a admin can make a sticky thread for this stuff
    Learn Ruby next. It's super flexible, it has OO features and many functional features (closures, pattern matching, currying, etc...), you can make things in it very quickly, and even if you decide not to make any applications with it, it's fantastic for scripting.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456