Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best programming language to learn next?

Beans

Re: Best programming language to learn next?

Quote Originally Posted by King Dude View Post
    I honestly believe you should learn X10, since you can mix it with Java and C++ libraries. It's also a brand new language (9 years old), whereas the previous suggestions of Python and Perl are fairly older languages (about 20+ years). Besides, Python and Perl programmers are common as hell, so a programmer who knows X10 may pan out to be more valuable later down the road.

In the world where processor cores are multiplying and parallel processing is becoming so extensive to the point where neither C++ nor Java can efficiently and easily handle by the average programmer, I can tell you now that languages like X10 will come out King in 20 years.

For the exact same reasons you may want to have a look at Go. This is a modern, open-source language with a large, active community and unparalleled support for concurrency. You can start programs with literally millions of threads and they still run fast.

http://golang.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ehrt74 View Post
    You can start programs with literally millions of threads and they still run fast.

http://golang.org/
    One millionth of a Core I5 isn't very fast, with the equivalent of a 2.5kHz clock...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by joco1500 View Post
    a programming language that hasn't been wildly used yet. i want to be a master of it by the time it gets popular. if you guys know on one, please tell me of it
    Have a look at Haskell. Functional programming is likely to get more popular and Haskell is is the best way to really get into pure functional programming, as in "No assignment, loops and such here. Have a look at pattern matching and recursion".
    You'll mix it with imperative and/or OO programming later if you need that.

Knowing about imperative programming (like C), classic OOP (like C++), prototype based OOP (like Javascript) and functional programming (like Haskell) will most likely make you fit for whatever programming language you need/want to learn.
    ClassicMenu Indicator - classic GNOME menu for Unity
    Unsettings - configuration program for the Unity
    Privacy Indicator - easily switch privacy settings in Unity
    Arronax - create and modify app starters

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by diesch View Post
    Knowing about imperative programming (like C), classic OOP (like C++), prototype based OOP (like Javascript) and functional programming (like Haskell) will most likely make you fit for whatever programming language you need/want to learn.
    I still think that learning assembler after you know the basics of coding will give you more insight to what a computer is capable of. I would download one of the C64 emulators and have a go. The C64 used the 6502, an 8-bit CPU with 4 (IIRC) registers. Once you get a feel for it, you can try the real thing on your machine.
    Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
    Shawn

Programming is as much about organization and communication as it is about coding.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
    I still think that learning assembler after you know the basics of coding will give you more insight to what a computer is capable of.
    Maybe learning assembler will give you more insight to what a computer is capable of but it will not give you a new way of thinking about algorithms and programming like Haskell does. In some way learning assembler if you alread know C is like learning Old English if you already speak American English while Haskell is more like learning Mandarion or Arabic.

Even if you never use Haskell for production code (which is quite likely) it gives you another way of thinking about you code, and often you can transfer parts of that to other languages, especially to languages like Python or Scala that support parts of the functional paradigm.
    ClassicMenu Indicator - classic GNOME menu for Unity
    Unsettings - configuration program for the Unity
    Privacy Indicator - easily switch privacy settings in Unity
    Arronax - create and modify app starters

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ofnuts View Post
    One millionth of a Core I5 isn't very fast, with the equivalent of a 2.5kHz clock...

Mm, try to create and coordinate a million posix threads on a Core i5. You can do that with minimal overhead in Go.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey

but i know that there is bound to be one that pops up that has capabilities that the others dont.

thst's what im looking for.
    If U really Looking For something Different , U ever heard of BaCon ,

This is one of The Most diffent of languages I ever seen

the setting is a Basic Like Structure . has a easy to use Wrapper for GTK , + can include almost any Lib

The Resulting code is C , but once compiled by Bacon the Exec is Stand alone , First Stable Version now available for down-load

can mix "BASIC" structured commands with c ,

can only try , but a one worth a look , cost is 0,

http://www.basic-converter.org/

Have Fun

alexfish
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

In my opinion, you should not learn to program in various languages. You should really MASTER one language. This way you can make anything with this language. So you wont need to do certain things in a specific language. But i would say that Ruby/Python/Perl are good ones to learn now. Based on this site http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html
    Last edited by Greenbald; May 24th, 2013 at 10:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
    Assembler.

Sooner or later, you will have to learn how the machine actually works.
    I think this is a common misconception.

Learning assembly programming will not necessarily teach you how a machine works. I've met many people that know how to write assembly but know next to nothing about how the machine works. And I've met many people that know next to nothing about writing assembly but are experts in how the machine works.

Most system-level code currently being developed is written in 'C. (and learning 'C' also will not necessarily teach you how the machine works).

The way to learn how the machine works is to read its documentation and specifications, etc. And _then_ write some code to see if you understand correctly what you read.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by diesch View Post
    Have a look at Haskell. Functional programming is likely to get more popular and Haskell is is the best way to really get into pure functional programming, as in "No assignment, loops and such here. Have a look at pattern matching and recursion".
    You'll mix it with imperative and/or OO programming later if you need that.

Why do you think functional programming is going to get more popular? if anything, I think its going to be even more dead than it already is. It has a very very limited domain.
    KDE is the best

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast