Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best programming language to learn next?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Best programming language to learn next?

Hello all.

I have been learning all of the programming languages i can recently.
    somewhat because i want to be a software engineer after i graduate high school and the other reason is because my friend wont stop bragging about the programs that he has made.

dont get me wrong. i already know c, c++, HTML, Javascript, and a little Java

but i know that there is bound to be one that pops up that has capabilities that the others dont.

thst's what im looking for.

a programming language that hasn't been wildly used yet. i want to be a master of it by the time it gets popular. if you guys know on one, please tell me of it

thank you in advance

ps. i dont want to have to compile them...i dont like waiting

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best programming language to learn next?

Perl. Python.
    If you know C I would say work with it the most.

Beans

A programming language which is coming very fast is Dart (http://www.dartlang.org/). There's a single download with a development environment.

Dart is a language for building web applications. It compiles down to (a subset of) javascript, though the ide comes with a version of chrome with the Dart virtual machine for faster debugging.

It's also a very simple language to learn, and has (a very few) neat ideas. If you start by thinking of it as Java done right, you'll get a long way. It's a fully open-source project with the backing of Google, so it's not going away anytime soon.
    Last edited by ehrt74; May 19th, 2013 at 10:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The language "X10" that's currently being developed by IBM and has been in development since about 2004 I think.

http://x10-lang.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would say Python or Perl.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by joco1500 View Post
    a programming language that hasn't been wildly used yet. i want to be a master of it by the time it gets popular. if you guys know on one, please tell me of it
    Plenty to choose from: Google for "popularity of computer languages" and pick the ones at the bottom of the list. Now, which one will be the next Java or Python, nobody really knows. Something that makes a language popular is that it's easy to learn and master, so your head start on a good language won't last very long. You should better put yousefl in a position to learn quickly (faster than others) a new language when it becomes popular (or useful). So widen your horizons and find languages that aren't like those you already know.

Find another job

Beans

Assembler.

Sooner or later, you will have to learn how the machine actually works.
    Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
    Shawn

Programming is as much about organization and communication as it is about coding.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I honestly believe you should learn X10, since you can mix it with Java and C++ libraries. It's also a brand new language (9 years old), whereas the previous suggestions of Python and Perl are fairly older languages (about 20+ years). Besides, Python and Perl programmers are common as hell, so a programmer who knows X10 may pan out to be more valuable later down the road.

In the world where processor cores are multiplying and parallel processing is becoming so extensive to the point where neither C++ nor Java can efficiently and easily handle by the average programmer, I can tell you now that languages like X10 will come out King in 20 years.

However, I strongly encourage that you browse yourself and read up on the pros and cons of a language.
    Here's an article about X10 you should check out. http://www.byzantinereality.com/2010...mming-Language

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
    Assembler.

Sooner or later, you will have to learn how the machine actually works.
    I could not agree more, but he might not be interested in Operating System development.
    Last edited by King Dude; May 21st, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello all.

I have been learning all of the programming languages i can recently.
    somewhat because i want to be a software engineer after i graduate high school and the other reason is because my friend wont stop bragging about the programs that he has made.

dont get me wrong. i already know c, c++, HTML, Javascript, and a little Java

but i know that there is bound to be one that pops up that has capabilities that the others dont.

thst's what im looking for.

thank you in advance

Ruby, Python or Perl.

Beans

Scala. Has functional porgramming capabilities, is compatible with java, and you can stick with mostly imperative programming till you're more comfortable with immutable state and stuff.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast