Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: constant errors file system

Beans

Re: constant errors file system

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Disks is installed by default, just search for it in the Dash.

Once opened, select your hard drive, and then in the upper right corner you'll find a small button (with a gear icon), click that and select "SMART Data and Tests".
    Ok figured out the SMART stuff it was not enabled in the BIOS.

SMART Data and Tests tells me that there are 763 sectors failing. 763 in a 2 gig drive is not that many. the hdd is close to 4 yrs old.

Are there utils I could run to map out those sectors, or should I just start shopping for a new hdd, oh is it backed up, of course not, and I'm out of blank CD's stupid idiot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by redmk2 View Post
    What are the errors? From memory what fsck messages are you geting? What does it cure?

What state is the drive in when you have the OS failure? Usually when the drive gets to a state where it has failed it is mounted read only (ro). Could this be what is happening?

Is this the only disk (HDD) in the system? When it fails, what do you get with this CLI command:
    Code:
    mount
    How old is the disk? How old is the hardware?
    I think I'm getting somewhere, I think the hdd is dying, it's 3yrs 9months 18 days old. I'm just hoping for couple of days of use before it takes a total crap

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mrajdl View Post
    Ok figured out the SMART stuff it was not enabled in the BIOS.

SMART Data and Tests tells me that there are 763 sectors failing. 763 in a 2 gig drive is not that many. the hdd is close to 4 yrs old.

Are there utils I could run to map out those sectors, or should I just start shopping for a new hdd, oh is it backed up, of course not, and I'm out of blank CD's stupid idiot.
    Really; a 2 gig drive? Are you sure that the drive is that small? If so, I'd get a USB flash drive of 4GB or 8GB ( it's cheaper than CD's or DVD's) and backup the data to that. Then buy a new drive, reinstall Ubuntu and move the data back to the new drive. I wouldn't take the time to try and save the old drive.
    Last edited by redmk2; May 20th, 2013 at 09:09 PM.

Beans

Have they even made 2 GB hard drives in the last 4 years? Heck, the company my mom used to work for was deploying computers with 4 GB hard drives in 1998.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

4 years is not that old, but it doesn't really matter, bad sectors are pretty much a sign that the drive is reaching it's end of life. So better make sure you have up-to-date backups of everything important. And yes, you will probably have to replace the drive soon. (Actually if you can afford it, replacing it right now would more than likely fix your problem with filesystem corruption.)

Any modern drive will automatically map out bad sectors, so there's nothing you can do about it. And anyway the fact that they start to appear is a sign that the disc surface is deteriorating.

(And I agree wit others that 2GiB sound way too small for a drive that's not at least 15 years old )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    4 years is not that old, but it doesn't really matter, bad sectors are pretty much a sign that the drive is reaching it's end of life. So better make sure you have up-to-date backups of everything important. And yes, you will probably have to replace the drive soon. (Actually if you can afford it, replacing it right now would more than likely fix your problem with filesystem corruption.)

Any modern drive will automatically map out bad sectors, so there's nothing you can do about it. And anyway the fact that they start to appear is a sign that the disc surface is deteriorating.

(And I agree wit others that 2GiB sound way too small for a drive that's not at least 15 years old )
    Agreed, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun with it. this hdd going to get formatted, llformated, then formatted again, if that doesn't help it gets the plasma cutter!.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Usually the symptoms of a bad drive are that you (even with sudo) do not have permission to write anything to the hard drive because, as redmk2 says, it automatically remounts read-only. One problem with that is that there is no permanent log that anything went wrong (and could be why apps think they have not shut down properly). The only way to check for such errors is to look at dmesg when something strange happens "before" shutting the computer down.

My Linux partition is at the far end of a 1 TB drive, which seems to have started going bad months ago when I started having write permission (read-only) issues. Although, e2fsck with the switch to mark out badblocks from Ubuntu on another drive (SSD) helped for a few months, eventually it started getting more errors. So I used Acronis to image Win7 partitions (which had not gone bad yet) and recreated them on a new drive. And I reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04.2 and copied my old home partition to that.

A hard drive reserves some space to transparently replace (remap) good sectors in place of bad sectors. But once all the error sites are used up, it is never going to get any better, just worse. And it should not be trusted for anything essential.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 750 Ti, 32" 1080p | i7-4700MQ, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M, 15.6" 1080p | etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    Usually the symptoms of a bad drive are that you (even with sudo) do not have permission to write anything to the hard drive because, as redmk2 says, it automatically remounts read-only. One problem with that is that there is no permanent log that anything went wrong (and could be why apps think they have not shut down properly). The only way to check for such errors is to look at dmesg when something strange happens "before" shutting the computer down.

My Linux partition is at the far end of a 1 TB drive, which seems to have started going bad months ago when I started having write permission (read-only) issues. Although, e2fsck with the switch to mark out badblocks from Ubuntu on another drive (SSD) helped for a few months, eventually it started getting more errors. So I used Acronis to image Win7 partitions (which had not gone bad yet) and recreated them on a new drive. And I reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04.2 and copied my old home partition to that.

A hard drive reserves some space to transparently replace (remap) good sectors in place of bad sectors. But once all the error sites are used up, it is never going to get any better, just worse. And it should not be trusted for anything essential.
    Ok my hard drive has is going south, thanks for who helped redmk2d, efflandt, and mcduck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Back up your data NOW.

The next fsck might completely ruin the filesystem and make your files irretrievable.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Oops the drive is 200g not 2, anyway I have a new 320g on the way that's all I need.

but what is this:
    mike@ubuntu:~$ uptime
    19:34:07 up 10:00, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.06

I'm the only user????

I do have a ghost in the house, John and he does sit at the computer, cause one night my dog wound not stop barking at the chair until the cpu was turned off. crazy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast