Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Password incorrect if typed to quickly

Beans

Password incorrect if typed to quickly

I don't know if this is something that happens to me only but when I type my password quickly in the login screen, terminal or any other panel asking to input my password, it throughs an error saying the password is incorrect. If I type it slowly then it doesn't give that problem.

I'm pretty sure it's not me typing the password incorrectly because I have been using the same password in win7 and I don't get any error even if I type it quickly.

I've noticed this problem even when using ubuntu on a different computer on a virtual machine.

My passwords contains upper/lower case and numbers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Password incorrect if typed to quickly

once you type it count the number of dots on the screen, see if you typed the same number of letters tat your password is, type it in a text editor fast and see what happens
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Thank you
    That was a great tip, I should have thought of it before.
    Typed it in the text editor and if I type quickly, even if I press caps lock again to type lower case, the letters are printed in upper case. It seems like there's a delay when the caps lock is pressed and that i have to slow down so that lower case is activated.
    This is not an issue if I type equally or faster in win7 so I assume it has to do something with ubuntu?
    any thought?

Beans
    Hidden!

This is a security precaution taken by Ubuntu to ensure that the operating system's user is a person and not a droid.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Andrew Upton View Post
    This is a security precaution taken by Ubuntu to ensure that the operating system's user is a person and not a droid.
    Are you serious or being funny ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It might sound funny, but when you think about it, what Jonathan Andrew says sounds very logical actually.
    I have noticed the same lag, but only since I installed 13.04. Maybe this is a new precaution indeed,
    but I never had any lag before 13.04.

Android is a strange term, but a precaution against bots would make sense.

Beans

i have 12.10 installed and noticed this problem on previous versions as well. Not a good precaution btw :/
    Last edited by cpu2007; May 20th, 2013 at 08:53 AM.

Beans

If this is a feature that they have added in Ubuntu, wouldn't be possible to remove it?
    Does anyone know what file controls this feature?

Beans

I type my passwords crazy fast in lubuntu 13.04. I never had any such problems.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    Are you serious or being funny ?
    No, I am being deadly serious. It is a security precaution, because a lot of bots are used nowadays to enter and configure code at speeds faster than the average human being. The computers at Canonical Ltd. can (probably) detect who is human and who is not by how fast the codes are entered. It is like the GUFW disabling to prevent hackers from getting onto the computer and altering the firewall settings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast