Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recognizing Sustaining Members Of The Forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Recognizing Sustaining Members Of The Forum

Hello,

One of the things I enjoy about the Forum is seeing my beans increase. I also recently made the $16.00 donation when downloading 13.04. I was thinking that we can recognize sustaining members by putting a special icon in the beans of every member who donates. I think that would promote competition among the Forum members and increase donations.

Do you think this might be a viable idea? Please let me know.

Thanks Hannibal
    I love it when a plan comes together. It keeps me "on the jazz."

Ubuntu Quantum 31.10.03 & Windows 10000 on Dell Inspiron 55200 Infinite-Core
    dual-boot system. 'Kill Bill XIV!'

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Recognizing Sustaining Members Of The Forum

Thread moved to FF&H.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think becoming a Ubuntu Member is the best way to show contributions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coljohnhannibalsmith View Post
    Hello,

One of the things I enjoy about the Forum is seeing my beans increase. I also recently made the $16.00 donation when downloading 13.04. I was thinking that we can recognize sustaining members by putting a special icon in the beans of every member who donates. I think that would promote competition among the Forum members and increase donations.

Do you think this might be a viable idea? Please let me know.

Thanks Hannibal
    First - I'm not sure that is actually possible, the beans are related to post counts - so we'd need to have a system that not only did that but also took into account a new usergroup that would need to be set up, so we'd have to have 2 sets of each group of 'bean's icons.

Second - how would we be able to discern whether someone had actually made a contribution - without them telling us.

Third - I don't see a need for competition among forum members - it was this sort of behaviour that was one of the reasons that the last 'thanks' plugin was removed (amongst others), we've asked for that to return - but we will be monitoring it's use.

I'm all for ideas on how to promote the community, what I'm much more interested in though, is ideas on how to integrate the forum community with the rest of the community.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Third - I don't see a need for competition among forum members - it was this sort of behaviour that was one of the reasons that the last 'thanks' plugin was removed (amongst others), we've asked for that to return - but we will be monitoring it's use.
    I agree with you. In my opinion, this forum is not made for competition, it's about helping. So I disagree with the OP, and I actually would think that the money contribution icon is a bad idea, I won't go into details of why, simply to express that all the time you need to be able to help in here could easily be compared to having a paid job for the amount of time and efforts which are necessary.

Maybe if the Ubuntu forum database could be linked directly to the Ubuntu system? So when you're having technical problems, you can use some kind of Ubuntu assistant tool which searches through the Ubuntu forum database and guides the user to the solution and links to possible answers without even registering or entering this forum? A kind of smart integration. Those things should be of higher importance, and the user/users which has contributed with his/her time for helping, will be part of the Ubuntu system in a new and better way, maybe?
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    ... what I'm much more interested in though, is ideas on how to integrate the forum community with the rest of the community.
    +1. As things stand, it is my impression that the integration is declining. I, and probably others, have thoughts on the matter but that would be derailing this topic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ridiculous idea and against the principles of Linux. The idea is to have an OS that is available to everyone, not just those who can pay $x for Windows or Mac. Ubuntu reaches, believe it or not, many people that probably don't have bank accounts, third world countries and places where poverty is rife. Do we really want to promote an 'us' and 'them' attitude? Both my thumbs are down to this suggestion.

Sure, donate if you can/want to, but what's it got to do with anything, particularly the forums? Let's make those that haven't, or can't, donate feel guilty? Na. There's many ways to contribute to the forum and Ubuntu, probably the least of them monetarily. Do we then have a 'competition' to see who helps out most or spends the most amount of time on the forum? A 'mod of the month' for outstanding and excellent contributions to the forum community? Na. People are here because they want to contribute in whatever way they can and should be appreciated, as I know they are, for that.

Rant over.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; May 19th, 2013 at 04:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Ridiculous idea and against the principles of Linux. The idea is to have an OS that is available to everyone, not just those who can pay $x for Windows or Mac. Ubuntu reaches, believe it or not, many people that probably don't have bank accounts, third world countries and places where poverty is rife. Do we really want to promote an 'us' and 'them' attitude? Both my thumbs are down to this suggestion.

Sure, donate if you can/want to, but what's it got to do with anything, particularly the forums? Let's make those that haven't, or can't, donate feel guilty? Na. There's many ways to contribute to the forum and Ubuntu, probably the least of them monetarily. Do we then have a 'competition' to see who helps out most or spends the most amount of time on the forum? A 'mod of the month' for outstanding and excellent contributions to the forum community? Na. People are here because they want to contribute in whatever way they can and should be appreciated, as I know they are, for that.

Rant over.
    + 1 to that from me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

+1 to what elfy posted, but thanks for posting your idea and please feel free to post your ideas anytime you have an idea that you believe will help the forum and the community.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    +1 to what elfy posted, but thanks for posting your idea and please feel free to post your ideas anytime you have an idea that you believe will help the forum and the community.
    Absolutely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast