Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: btrfs restores busted saucy desktops

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: btrfs restores busted saucy desktops

@ventrical

You were talking about cloning a snapshot and pasting it into another btrfs partition. It occurs to me that we would have to watch out for the fact that the grub.cfg of the first partition would have a different UUID to the partition it was being copied on to. A update-grub and grub-install would need to be done before rebooting.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Now I don't get it.

Notice the 'swapspace' being used. And this on a btrfs install.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am now getting a crash with apt-btrfs-snapshot. "Stopped unexpectedly." "Crashed with Exception in_parse_older_than_to_unixtime ( ): please specifiy time in days (e.g. 10d)" This happened as I ran Software Updater and although the update took place, the snapshot did not happen. Shouldn't the snapshot take place automatically, once we have run the utility the first time? come to think of it, how do we switch it off? Or on?

CORRECTION: I just run apt-btrfs-snapshot list and it did snapshot for today - 4 times with 4 tenths of a second between the first and fourth snapshot. Showing off, I suppose. Look how quick I am!

I tried this list-older-than command yesterday. At first I got it wrong with the days format. I cannot understand why it is throwing up this error.

FYI, my my system monitor is saying 0.3% swap usage with memory usage just above 50% on 1GB.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; June 5th, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans
    Distro

@grahammechanical

Running synaptic or Update Manager will call apt-btrfs-snapshot in the background. What I do (if I do not want to take a snapshot) is:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove apt-btrfs-snapshot
    then reinstall it when I need it or want to take a snapshot.

swapfile

I guess btrfs scavenges from the swapfile at will. How is why is beyond me because I do know that I have not been able to successfully do a btrfs install with a swapfile partition. Even on an all btrfs hdd, during initial setup, it would not install properly , reporting errors etc..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@ventrical

Thanks. Remove, seems a bit drastic. Thinking of it from btrfs being the default Ubuntu file system point of view.

Did you notice that Jorge picked up on us experimenting with btrfs when I made that post on the new style (just playing around) forum? I am thinking of starting a thread on that new style forum. I am writing up some advice on using btrfs. I call it adventures in btrfs. Would you join with me? In a day or two I will post what I have come up with. Would you post any corrections or additions? Then I will edit the first post. I do not want it to be a tutorial. More like advice. What we are finding might get noticed further up the food chain. It might move things forward a bit.

Because of having Ubuntu already installed, the swap file already exists. I have not tried installing btrfs using the whole disk. I have not had that swap file issue. I do think that our work is useful, especially if people are thinking of one day making it Ubuntu's default file system and we can get them to see our results.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @ventrical

Thanks. Remove, seems a bit drastic. Thinking of it from btrfs being the default Ubuntu file system point of view.

Did you notice that Jorge picked up on us experimenting with btrfs when I made that post on the new style (just playing around) forum? I am thinking of starting a thread on that new style forum. I am writing up some advice on using btrfs. I call it adventures in btrfs. Would you join with me? In a day or two I will post what I have come up with. Would you post any corrections or additions? Then I will edit the first post. I do not want it to be a tutorial. More like advice. What we are finding might get noticed further up the food chain. It might move things forward a bit.

Because of having Ubuntu already installed, the swap file already exists. I have not tried installing btrfs using the whole disk. I have not had that swap file issue. I do think that our work is useful, especially if people are thinking of one day making it Ubuntu's default file system and we can get them to see our results.
    You guys may want to lurk or ask questions in #btrfs on freenode. It's what i have been doing.

It's where the main developers and other users hang out.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @ventrical

Yes I had noticed the Jorge made some comments in Discourse in reply to your posts. Sure. Will join you there and add what I can but I have a problem with the way that Discourse is laid out. It hurts my eyes in it's current default state. When they switched over here at Ubuntuforums I had the same transitional problem , but the mods corrected it and it is a lot easier on the eyes now. I'll try to tweak it a bit.

Remove:

Yes , that is drastic. There should be an 'off' mode added on to the apt-btrfs-snapshot module or include a shut off tool with the btrfs-tools pkg so we can easily shut it off from terminal.

EDIT: btw .. I just wanted to say that brtrfs file system has been very stable in operating programs on a day by day basis. I am sure there are holes. Maybe we'll find some.

Beans
    Distro

A Hardware Note:

I just wanted to make a hardware note here since I am using Saucy and btrfs.

I have had two WD IDE (one IDE and one EIDE) hdds acting up and ready to scavenge them for magnets. Just now , during a hard startup, I notice a clicking on my drive. I took off the 4 pin power cable and lo and behold, the +5v female pin was wore open to a greater diameter that the male pin. It is a newer, off market power supply (cheap) and the connectors are made from a cheaper tin alloy. I solved it temporarily by using a tool to close the connector.

Lesson of the day .. 'check your hardware from time to time'. Especially power supplies. 7 times out of 10 , most problems arise from faulty power or not enough power, often resulting in what could appear to be Ubuntru upgrade errors.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    You guys may want to lurk or ask questions in #btrfs on freenode. It's what i have been doing.

It's where the main developers and other users hang out.

Ok.. thanks Matt.

Pretty slow right now.

Beans
    Distro

Lo and behold, unless my eyes have deceived me, they now have an apt-rollback selection in the Recovery GUI!!!!

So that way we won't have to enter:

Code:
     mount -o remount,rw /
    Thanks you guys !

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast