Thread: Connection Speeds Suffering

Beans

Question Connection Speeds Suffering

Hi,
    I'm a new Linux user. I switched from Windows 8 to Ubuntu 13.04 today (dualboot). I love Ubuntu. However, there's been one flaw. I feel that the connection speeds have been suffering. It goes on and off sometimes, where it'll be at normal speed and then it'll go to taking around twenty seconds for Google to load. I've had no problems with this before using Windows 8 (all on the same computer and on the same network). Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone have any ideas as to what to do?

Thanks,
    Matthew Kaufer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Connection Speeds Suffering

Hi there,

please open a terminal with CTRL+ALT+T and show the outputs of these commands:

Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    lsusb
    lsmod
    iwconfig
    ifconfig -a
    Is it about LAN or wireless?

Beans

I'm wireless. It looks like the WiFi connection drops. If I turn off WiFi (on my laptop) and re-enable it, I'm then able to connect, which leads me to think that the problem is with the kernel. I've looked around and it seems that others have had this problem as well.
    I'm trying what this link describes at the moment.
    http://www.unixmen.com/resolve-slow-...natty-narwhal/

Beans

Here are the results from the test. My computer had been losing the wifi and such a bit before I ran those commands. Again, this had never happened when I had Windows 8 running.
    http://pastebin.com/wqAJx5zD