Thread: Remove all shadows Ubuntu 12.04 gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Remove all shadows Ubuntu 12.04 gnome

I'm having an odd, annoying issue and I hope someone here may be able to help. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with Gnome, Unity has been removed. I log in with Gnome Classic, no effects, but I still get shadows, on the taskbar, in web pages, nautilus, etc. However, they seem to come and go, and I can't figure out why. I have disabled shadows (or reduced them to the minimum setting allowed) everywhere I can find a setting, and still the issue persists. I've done quite a bit of searching for a solution, but nothing has consistently worked, and I'm at a loss as to why. I have unchecked 'compositor effects' for Metacity in Configuration Editor, I've zeroed out or reduced as far as allowed all instances of shadow in metacity-theme-1.xml, I've done the same in CompixConfig Settings Manager, all with limited, intermittent success. What else is there, what am I missing?

My goal is to eliminate ALL shadows, everywhere, all the time. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Remove all shadows Ubuntu 12.04 gnome

if you have really purged both unity & compiz, then you should not get that garbage

inside your /home, search about "unity" & "compiz" and erase their subfolders (might be inside some hidden folders: .local/.config/.gnome2/.gconf)

and/or use the System Settings to switch the theme used (adwaita/ambiance/radiance)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the reply. Unity 3D is gone, Compiz is not. Shadows remain, in any theme, even when starting in Low Graphics mode. They're even more prevalent now.

It shouldn't be this difficult, and if I can't find a solution I'll have to find another distro. They're too much of a distraction in web pages, nautilus and gedit to be endured.

Beans

You probably seen this.

It does not have any effect if compositing_manager is disabled.

compositor_effects.png