Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 is utterly, utterly gorgeous. :)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 is utterly, utterly gorgeous. :)

I was going to joke that this should be moved to "recurring discussions" but sadly it's not a recurring topic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I like it. I wouldn't say it is perfect. One Compiz crash so far. A couple of cases were the focus behaviour doesn't seem to be right but I didn't encounter the problem often enough to concern me. All in all 13.04 is a pretty good effort. I spend most of my time using Unity but I also use the KDE desktop.

Beans

Standard Ubuntu 13.04 desktop install then apt-get install gnome-shell then log in with GNOME. Beautiful, simple, clean, and efficient. I like Unity also but think GNOME Shell is better.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    Standard Ubuntu 13.04 desktop install then apt-get install gnome-shell then log in with GNOME. Beautiful, simple, clean, and efficient. I like Unity also but think GNOME Shell is better.
    I used to very much prefer Gnome Shell over Unity, but I have to say I don't like a lot of the recent changes in 3.8. I don't like what they've done to the Shell overview at all. It was much better when you had your application categories on the right hand side. Now I don't know where I am with it. They've replaced the categories with the rather odd "Sundry" and "Utilities" buttons, which to me feel like a sudden and complete change of design direction. It just feels like they want to pare it down all the time to its bones. And Nautilus too. There's seemingly little there left to talk about. It's a real shame.

I don't want to get into a boring moan-fest about Gnome at all, because hey, we get it for free and it's their baby. Seems wrong to complain about something you get for free, and it still is an amazing design imho generally, and criminally ignored by some. But functionally Unity seems to be improving, where with Gnome I feel like I'm losing something each release, and it's not really for me anymore.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro

I have to agree with you, in that Ubuntu 13.04 is utterly gorgeous. It's the Ubuntu I really love showing off again. I love the performance fixes and what Unity has evolved to, so far. I am also eager to try out Unity 8 and Mir. I'm giving Canonical the benefit of the doubt on that one.
    My Personal Blog: http://1roxtar.blogspot.com Latest Blog: HOW MUCH DO YOU LINUX?.

My Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Testing Rig:
    Dell Dimension E521, AMD64 Athlon X2, 5 Gigs of RAM, Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT video card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    I used to very much prefer Gnome Shell over Unity, but I have to say I don't like a lot of the recent changes in 3.8. I don't like what they've done to the Shell overview at all. It was much better when you had your application categories on the right hand side. Now I don't know where I am with it.
    But how often do you browse through the applications? Maybe a few times when you are a newbie first installing ubuntu, and then maybe once every 6 months from then on? 99.99% of the time you start an application from the launcher/dash, or type a few characters of the name etc. I actually am not sure whether removing categories make sense either but surely it is a trivial issue which barely affects anybody even slightly experienced. GNOME Shell 3.8 has improved the activities overview massively compared to 3.6 because windows are now scaled much bigger, and scaled relatively in size, so it is easier to spot and select them. The overview is the heart and soul of GNOME Shell and is something you use every few minutes so that is something that does matter. So I think 3.8 is much better than previous GNOME Shell versions just because of this change.

I am not a fan of the changes they have made to the messaging window in GNOME Shell 3.8. The design seems to be bouncing around somewhat but hopefully they will get there. I don't care about the functions removed from Nautilus, they have been removed because there is usually a better way. The problem is that people don't like change. I think Nautilus is improved now.

Beans

People should just donate or contribute to the projects they appreciate and want to survive and not worry about telling this or that developer what he or she should do with his or her free time or make freely available to other people to download. So this thread of people who appreciate Ubuntu 13.04 and want to say so is nice and positive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    But how often do you browse through the applications? Maybe a few times when you are a newbie first installing ubuntu, and then maybe once every 6 months from then on? 99.99% of the time you start an application from the launcher/dash, or type a few characters of the name etc. I actually am not sure whether removing categories make sense either but surely it is a trivial issue which barely affects anybody even slightly experienced. GNOME Shell 3.8 has improved the activities overview massively compared to 3.6 because windows are now scaled much bigger, and scaled relatively in size, so it is easier to spot and select them. The overview is the heart and soul of GNOME Shell and is something you use every few minutes so that is something that does matter. So I think 3.8 is much better than previous GNOME Shell versions just because of this change.

I am not a fan of the changes they have made to the messaging window in GNOME Shell 3.8. The design seems to be bouncing around somewhat but hopefully they will get there. I don't care about the functions removed from Nautilus, they have been removed because there is usually a better way. The problem is that people don't like change. I think Nautilus is improved now.
    OK, not to go off topic with this, but I'm not sure what you're saying. It's a trivial matter, it's not a trivial matter. I like the Shell overview a great deal, so changes to it are important to me, and not trivial at all.

For me I just don't like the change. I am very much a mouse user, and don't often type in application names to find or launch them. I use to enjoy the Shell overview with the categories on the right side. I'm not sure it "barely affects anybody", as it's something I've heard other Gnome 3 users expressing disappointment in too. And with all the good will in the world, I can't say there's anything I like about the changes to Nautilus, and not really anything I could say is a "better way". Maybe they'll get there with it though.

Look you've made me sound anti-Gnome! And I most certainly am not. Also, I don't think it's fair to say I'm just someone who doesn't like change. I jumped right in with the Gnome 3.0 release as soon as it was available (on openSUSE) and used it exclusively for a long time through to Gnome 3.4.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

All this said, I will definitely give 3.8 more time and see how I feel.

Beans
    Distro

At the risk of adding confusion...

I know how BigSilly feels about some of the changes the Gnome team have made to Gnome Shell - sometimes they seem to act out of sheer perversity... But: I'm running Debian Wheezy, the latest stable version, which comes with Gnome 3.4. This for me was a sweet spot in the series, and I'm glad that Debian aren't going to upgrade it any time soon. Also, much as I like many aspects of Unity and recognise that it has a lot going for it, it sometimes seems too busy, too much like the nervous hostess forever sticking canapes under your nose. If I want to get something done, for me, simpler is better... As a result, I now use Debian a lot more than Ubuntu...

Anyway. Apologies for barging in...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast