Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resolution problems

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Resolution problems

Those are things that would probably best be directed at Canonical. We can certainly talk about them here, but the efficacy of such discussions in bringing about change is doubtful.

Use the forum to discuss, not to demand. We can't change anything. We can, however, file bug reports -- which this thread is not.

In any case, I must warn you that if you continue to have a poor attitude or are disrespectful to other members or to staff, then your ability to even have a discussion on the forums could be curtailed.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@MarkX, we all have bad days, but I'm stilling willing to help you solve your problem, all you need to do is answer a few questions.

1. When/what version was the last to detect your monitor correctly?
    2. What graphics adapter does your system use?
    3. Have you checked to see if it is a hardware problem? Bad cable, bent pins in the connectors, etc.

Your complaints about Unity won't be answered here, as we have no control over the DE, I see you are using Lubuntu, if you dislike the changes in the default DE, then some of the other Ubuntu based flavours may suit your needs better, I'd suggest you also try Xubuntu and Kubuntu.

Links to Saucy isos for the other flavours are listed in this sticky

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

A few things to help you with a CRT display:

- as the world is a "dynamic" rollup game, and ours too, you need to follow it too
    - as the time have elapsed, nowadays "xorg" is playing a second role compared to the kernel which now directly deal with X. So a non suitable xorg.conf can badly disturb the kernel logic : the default now is to erase that conf file . But there is some cases where you still need it: and CRT display is one of this case. You need to set it with the appropriate entries settings, like in that post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12472675 . So play with modelines and modesettings and dmidecode to tweak it correctly. Googling around might help you find oldish CRT xorg.conf entries.
    - example: http://www.google.fr/webhp#hl=fr&scl...w=1674&bih=925

Beans
    Distro

For a while on a 1024x600 netbookI was using an external monitor TV which had 1366x768 resolution. After thrashing the internet a bit I wound up with this exec:

#!/bin/bash
    xrandr --newmode "1366x768_60.00" 85.25 1366 1440 1576 1784 768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
    xrandr --addmode VGA1 1366x768_60.00
    xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1366x768_60.00

which I had to run on every boot. No clear idea what all those numbers are or how to figure out what they should be. "If it works, don't fix it."

Then on sale I bought a 1600x900 monitor, I think $89 or so. Resolution problem is ubiquity on install anything past 1024x768 insists on rotating 90 degrees and doesn't even have a choice of "normal". After install, turn off mirror displays, turn off laptop monitor, then select 1024x768 and apply. After that, I can re-open displays and set 1600x900 with normal rotation. Yes there's a launchpad bug. Yes, nobody's interested,,,,

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    [...] nowadays "xorg" is playing a second role compared to the kernel which now directly deal with X. So a non suitable xorg.conf can badly disturb the kernel logic : the default now is to erase that conf file . But there is some cases where you still need it [...]
    True!

The only reason I run xorg.conf is for Digital Vibrance Control (DVC), so called -- the #1 reason for running an nVidia card IMO.

Nowadays, you need to be more_and_more careful with xorg.conf. For instance, if I manually set my xorg.conf to native res, these days, it borks my display. I *need* to set size/freq to "Auto".

Used to be the other way around. "Auto" always chose the wrong frequency. I *had* to manually set it to 60Hz.

Guess the kernel is handling this sort of stuff now...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkX View Post
    I "help" by recommending it to people but what I see now is endless changes being made that people don't want (Unity, for a major one and I gather they now want to dump firefox) instead of fixing basic things that don't work properly.
    If people with touchscreens, mobiles and the need for clouds and the latest gismos want Linux, then give them their own distro, call it Mobuntu, if you like, but don't turn upside down what could have become the best OS every few months just for the sake of it. I'm becoming a silver surfer and our numbers are rocketing. WE DON'T WANT CHANGE! We need a rock steady, easy and familiar OS!
    CentOS is about as Debian steady as it goes.!! I understand the reference to 'silver surfer', but I am also a tester. Here.. we test and break things in hopes that it does become more stable and steady.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Ok, thanks folks for listening. I wish I knew a way to tell Canonical. Too busy IRL to do it now though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MarkX View Post
    Ok, thanks folks for listening. I wish I knew a way to tell Canonical. Too busy IRL to do it now though.
    Try the ubuntu-x mailing list, this list is for discussing the problem you are having with X, not a place for opinions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12