Thread: Samsung ML3310D laser printer

Beans

Samsung ML3310D laser printer

Hi,

Yesterday I was trying to set up a Samsung ML3310D monochrome laser printer to work with my Lubuntu, but surprisingly, though the product has been advertised as highly compatible with linux, Lubuntu Printer Setup was unable to find the proper drivers for it to function.

Is there anything else that can be done? How to tell whether a printer will work on a certain distro before purchasing it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Samsung ML3310D laser printer

I had similar problems with a Dell printer i bought, distro should have pretty much the same support as they probably all use cups.
    i noticed they do have drivers here http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mo.../SEE-downloads.

it may be enough to extract the .ppd driver and install that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadite66 View Post
    I had similar problems with a Dell printer i bought, distro should have pretty much the same support as they probably all use cups.
    i noticed they do have drivers here http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mo.../SEE-downloads.

it may be enough to extract the .ppd driver and install that.
    I got the files from the support page, but how do I extract the .ppd from the tar.gz folders?

I tried using the printer set up utility in Lubuntu and tried both the generic GDI as well as the text-only drivers, neither of which worked satisfactorily.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

you can likely right click on the file and select unzup/extract
    or in a terminal run: tar xvf UnifiedLinuxDriver_0.99.tar.gz

in the cdroot/Linux folder at the archive made there is an install.sh script.
    you can try from the terminal: sudo ./install.sh
    or
    i don't know how lubuntu handles adding a printer, if it has an option for just using a .ppd file they are in cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/

Beans

Gotcha.

It seems that the .ppd file for the ML3310D is not to be found in the folder downloaded from the support page. I am wondering if the Lubuntu library is up to date at all with drivers, since it seems like all the printers listed on the "popular" section in amazon are missing drivers from Lubuntu, which seems extremely odd since there are so many available from the manufacturers nevertheless.

Is there a list anywhere where one can check whether a printer works with Lubuntu or not?

Beans

Hello,
    the ppd for the ML-3310D should be ML-331xspl2.ppd.

-Roland