Thread: Compiling xpdf from source -- "make" errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Compiling xpdf from source -- "make" errors

The xpdf package available from the Ubuntu repositories (for 12.04) crashes with a segfault on startup. I've found several bug reports on this, and the consensus seems to be either:
    1) Downgrade libpoppler to v.19, or
    2) Compile xpdf from source using the package available from http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html

I seem to have libpoppler19 already, so I'm trying to compile from source. Initially "configure" was complaining that it couldn't find FreeType; I've got FreeType6 installed (by default, I think). After some more digging, I found that it wanted FreeType2. So I installed that and then the configure process seemed to work. However,
    Code:
    make
    resulted in a whole pile of warnings and an error message.

Code:
    XPDFViewer.cc:1806:54: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ [-fpermissive]
    /usr/include/Xm/Xm.h:1477:22: error:   initializing argument 1 of ‘unsigned char* XmStringCreateLocalized(char*)’ [-fpermissive]
    XPDFViewer.cc:3397:64: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
    XPDFViewer.cc: In member function ‘void XPDFViewer::setupPrintDialog()’:
    XPDFViewer.cc:3453:43: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
    XPDFViewer.cc: In member function ‘void XPDFViewer::cmdRun(GString**, int, XEvent*)’:
    XPDFViewer.cc:1210:28: warning: ignoring return value of ‘int system(const char*)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
    make[1]: *** [XPDFViewer.o] Error 1
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    (along with a whole pile of similar warnings about deprecated conversion from string constant to char*.) Not surprisingly,
    Code:
    sudo make install
    then fails.

Can anyone tell me how I might fix this?
    int main() {
    User chellrose;
    chellrose.insert_clever_signature();
    return 0;}

Beans

Re: Compiling xpdf from source -- "make" errors

A good first step might be to assemble all of the dependencies needed to compile xpdf and the easiest way to do this is:

Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep xpdf
    and then recompile and see if many of the errors vanish. Perhaps also you should be using checkinstall to create and install your final package.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Both the 12.04 repo source (3.02+) & 3.03 can be built & will apparently work without segfaulting. Whether it works fully or without some 'unseen' issue don't know & not inclined to pursue.
    (Debian/Ubuntu apply a host of patches, with those patches fully applied to the 3.02 source it either fails to build or segfaults. Likely caused by one or 2 of the patches. Whether any of those patches is useful can be tested but time consuming, ect.

Just to note -
    FreeType6 is the package name of FreeType2, the location of the libs is where the configure script can't find.
    Also the repo source builds off of lesstif2-dev, here I substituted libmotif-dev

So for 3.03 you can try -
    Then install libmotif-dev which will remove lesstif2-dev (you can try with lesstif2-dev first if desired
    Also you may want to install libt1-dev

For the ./configure use something like this, (this is for a 32 bit install, adjust blue for 64 bit, the includes may not be needed, doesn't hurt
    Code:
    ./configure --with-freetype2-includes=/usr/include/freetype2 --with-freetype2-library=usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
    Also note that there is no "sudo make uninstall" available for the source so maybe consider checkinstall

The source will not install a .desktop, if needed then in ~/.local/share/applications use this - ( if an icon is desired then full path to one in the Icon= line or place attached in /usr/share/pixmaps folder
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=xpdf
    GenericName=PDF viewer
    Comment=View PDF files
    Exec=xpdf %U
    Icon=xpdf
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    MimeType=application/pdf;
    Categories=Viewer;Graphics;
    Also note see these warnings when run from terminal, whether an issue don't know
    xpdf '/home/doug/Documents/sample.pdf' Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
    Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-courier-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
    Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-times-bold-i-normal--20-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
    Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-times-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
    Attached icon & text of configure
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks. I ran
    Code:
    , apparently successfully. I also used the options to configure suggested by mc4man. It still complains that it can't find FreeType. The result of
    Code:
    make
    is
    Code:
    cd goo; make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/rachel/Downloads/xpdf-3.03/goo'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rachel/Downloads/xpdf-3.03/goo'
    cd fofi; make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/rachel/Downloads/xpdf-3.03/fofi'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rachel/Downloads/xpdf-3.03/fofi'
    cd splash; make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/rachel/Downloads/xpdf-3.03/splash'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rachel/Downloads/xpdf-3.03/splash'
    cd xpdf; make all-no-x
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/rachel/Downloads/xpdf-3.03/xpdf'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all-no-x'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rachel/Downloads/xpdf-3.03/xpdf'
    Compiling via
    Code:
    sudo checkinstall
    appears to be successful... it says that it has created and installed the Debian package. However,
    Code:
    ~$ xpdf
    The program 'xpdf' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install xpdf
    I've tried it with lesstif2-dev and with libmotif-dev, both with the same results. I even tried
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i xpdf_3.03-1_i386.deb
    on the .deb file that the checkinstall process generated. I can't find an xpdf executable in any obscure directories, either.
    int main() {
    User chellrose;
    chellrose.insert_clever_signature();
    return 0;}